Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Value of this tube ?
Value of this tube ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 08:43 PM   #11
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yup. Same people who say 6N8/9S sound like marde compared to 6SN/L7... Not in a properly designed circuit it doesn't...
Old 6th February 2018, 10:32 AM   #12
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
Found out, it is that funny diagonal looking H thing, which is the identifier for this rare tube. That is what drives the price up.
The logo contains the S and H letters, for the Siemens co-founders Siemens and Halske.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:22 AM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It also says on the glass "Siemens" and "Made In Germany". It always seems to be the case with old valves that what is painted on the outside has more effect on monetary value than what is contained on the inside.

I used to have two 'silver plate' ECC83, labelled Marconi and possibly made in Spain. They look very similar to this ECC82, and like it are rare and perhaps sought after. Unfortunately at the time (approaching 40 years ago) they were simply some cheap valves I bought for the audio stages of a transmitter. One was eventually used to repair a PA amp for the local church. I don't know where the other one is.
Old 6th February 2018, 03:44 PM   #14
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

I am out of the tube scene at this time, but I did find an old email with info about these tubes, from when I was tube rolling. I remember now, how I had tried 7 or 8 loaned tubes in my DAC. And all of them had some sort of "tubey" sound at the freq extremes, which I did not like. Roll off, if you will. These Silverplates were recommended because they had very extended lows and highs, while still having a rich midrange. Supposedly, more than any other 12AU7s. I remember now, how they opened up the top end, and tightened up the bass, more like really good solid state. They changed the Minimax DAC from a good one, to a great one.

I think THIS is what I read about being told why they are so sought after .... They were considered to have the best traits of solid state and tube sound. Lucky I keep ALL audio related emails in a Gmail folder ! Regardless, I can't speak for if they are worth it or not .... only the individual buyer can.
Hoping everyone has a good day.

Last edited by Flaxxer; 6th February 2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 6th February 2018, 03:53 PM   #15
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Value of this tube ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
Yup. Same people who say 6N8/9S sound like marde compared to 6SN/L7... Not in a properly designed circuit it doesn't...
I like the russian 6N8S so much that I ordered another ten to do a big-ish parallel push pull AB2 amp with them. Let the Golden Ears and Tone Snobs fight over the expensive stuff. For those of us that aren't obsessed with tube rolling and audiophool nonsense the surplus stuff is fantastic value. In a properly designed/implemented circuit they are wonderful tubes.
Old 6th February 2018, 04:25 PM   #16
hooman is offline hooman  Iran
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsaszar View Post
The logo contains the S and H letters, for the Siemens co-founders Siemens and Halske.
yes . i have more than 10 of siemens chrome plate 12au7.this 12au7 is not top of 12au7...siemens gray plate 12au7 is expensive and rich in sound .
Old 7th February 2018, 03:34 AM   #17
soulmerchant is offline soulmerchant  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Whenever I hear "rich midrange" or "very extended lows and highs" etc. I immediately think one thing - the curcuit must be rubbish.

This "Minimax DAC" is easy to find using a search engine:

MiniMax DAC

Looking at their quoted specs, check the output impedance values:

Output Impedance :
Tube 22K
Solid State 10K

So now I think to myself.... wow, how did they ever manage to get Solid State ouput impedance THAT high?

Maybe I should consider a career in marketing?

Last edited by soulmerchant; 7th February 2018 at 03:37 AM.
Old 7th February 2018, 03:53 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Value of this tube ?
That DAC sounds remarkably mushy.

Agreed on the comment on tubes sounding markedly different.
Old 7th February 2018, 04:43 AM   #19
Flaxxer is offline Flaxxer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
That DAC sounds remarkably mushy.

Agreed on the comment on tubes sounding markedly different.
Not after I modified it. Not at all.
Old 7th February 2018, 11:45 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Value of this tube ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxxer View Post
Not after I modified it. Not at all.
What did you modify in it to "fix" the issues?

Value of this tube ?Hide this!Advertise here!