• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A WE-91B project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1, 9mV of hum which I put the Potentiometer of input Attenuator to the position of normal listening
IMG_1234.JPG
2, when I put the potentiometer to maximum position, the voltage of hum is about 136mV
IMG_1246.JPG
3, I unpluged the first and second stage of 310A, voltage of hum reduced to 31mV
IMG_1244.JPG
4, plugged second 310A back on, hum is still about 30mV
IMG_1245.JPG

Maybe the hum mainly coming from first stage?

Last edited:
If you can live with this AC hum it's fine. It depends on the sensitivity of your speakers at 50/100Hz and how loud it is on your listening position.
I have 3 different 91A clones, all with different filament supplies:
1. AC (5V)
2. simple DC (5.3V AC - bridge rectifier - 10000uF cap - 5V DC)
3. Tentlabs filament supply (6.3V AC input - 5V DC)
AC sounds best (if you ignore hum), second is Tentlabs, last is simple DC.
Hi Troy, you are expert of WE91〈[emoji7]ノ
1, with AC(5V), how much the voltage of hum when put the Potentiometer to max?
2,what is tentlabs filament supply?

Hi Troy, you are expert of WE91〈[emoji7]ノ
1, with AC(5V), how much the voltage of hum when put the Potentiometer to max?
2,what is tentlabs filament supply?

1. My volume pot is before the fist stage so it doesn't matter if it's min or max. On such measurements you should always terminate your input to ground (pull down).
I measure 12 mV hum on my AC filament version.
So your 9 mV is a good result. No need to change to DC...

2. Tentlabs filament supply:
Tube filament supply
Even better would be a DIY module from Rod Coleman:
Rod Coleman DHT Filament Regulator
But it will need even more AC input (>8V).

1. My volume pot is before the fist stage so it doesn't matter if it's min or max. On such measurements you should always terminate your input to ground (pull down).
I measure 12 mV hum on my AC filament version.
So your 9 mV is a good result. No need to change to DC...

2. Tentlabs filament supply:
Tube filament supply
Even better would be a DIY module from Rod Coleman:
Rod Coleman DHT Filament Regulator
But it will need even more AC input (>8V).

1, You mean I should put the pot like pic-A, Not pic-B?
IMG_1133.JPG

2, some noise come from 1st, the heater wire connection is like pic-A, should I change it to Pic-B?
IMG_1134.JPG

1. If your RCA input is not connected use pic-A (tube input to gnd) for measurements.
2. I guess this won't make any difference but you can try if it's easy to patch.

I would stick to AC filament supply if possible (1:1 91A clone). Afterwards you can always try out some DC heater and decide if it's improving the sound/hum issue.

HI. i have experience with hum .guitar amp and hifi . i think when start new project .....pcb is not good choice .grund shude change for reduce hum . musician order fender guitar amp .hum in speaker !!!!!disassembly and change....for 3 times !!!the last was quit .nothing in speaker .no Change parts not dc in filament just changing ground .

1-hi sensitivity speaker =hear very small signal from amp !!!it is very bad chans in tube amp .
2-dht out put =noise in output . dc filament with good filtering and 100 ohm balance pot .some times i use battery for filament to understand source of hum .if change ...should try on filtering of dc for filament .
3-disconnect the signal of tube driver to 300b and see the oscop .if have hum try to fix it .
4- reduce hum in out put dht tube is not difficult .but most of problem happen in gain stage and first tube .this kind of hum need spend time to detect source of hum .

1-hi sensitivity speaker =hear very small signal from amp !!!it is very bad chans in tube amp .
2-dht out put =noise in output . dc filament with good filtering and 100 ohm balance pot .some times i use battery for filament to understand source of hum .if change ...should try on filtering of dc for filament .
3-disconnect the signal of tube driver to 300b and see the oscop .if have hum try to fix it .
4- reduce hum in out put dht tube is not difficult .but most of problem happen in gain stage and first tube .this kind of hum need spend time to detect source of hum .
Thank you hooman, very good advice. This experience will help me a lot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.