• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Smoke from a Double PP with EL34s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your continued help.
I think I'm slowly getting there.
Thanks for the book reference, Kodabmx , just what I needed . I threw my hardback english equivalent out with my last downsizing.
I will procure a means of measuring capacity.
I thought that inline fuses on the OPT could be smaller as they would avoid the problem of inrush – am I right ?
I could not read what was on the original blown fuse but it was obviously not senstive enough. I agree that I should try it at 2 amps .
Could any one estimate the cathode current / voltage for the EL34s ? Or do you need the exact OPT specs for that ? I beleive the amp is rated at 70W if that means anything.

My one real problem now is Kodabmx's point that the first valve should be a ECC81 and not a ECC82.
I really don't need three times the gain at the input. Is the actual circuit operating correctly ( but obviously not optimally) with the ECC82 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.