Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

A new perspective on current-sharing hybrid amplifiers
A new perspective on current-sharing hybrid amplifiers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2020, 07:00 PM   #11
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

Lm1875 is not unity gain stable
Av greater then 10 to be stable.
Old 24th November 2020, 08:55 PM   #12
kokoriantz is online now kokoriantz  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

The circuit is stable on simulator. The feedback is not only unity voltage also current. If stability is a problem,22k feedback resistor and 2.2k shunt resistor makes the amp stable with unity gain.
Old 25th November 2020, 02:23 AM   #13
indra1 is online now indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I think inputs of LM1875 are not designed for large signal swing.
Old 25th November 2020, 04:02 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Indra. What makes you think as such. The datasheet doesn't speak anything particular about it. The circuit diagram shows diodes on each input constraining the inputs to the rails as well a limiting diode between the inputs.

I have a personal question. I stayed in Bogor about a month in 2001 studying about tropical trees in the botanical garden. Near the entrance was a market place, where on the walkway, along with vegetable vendors, was a young man about 16/17 years old assembling power amplifiers 3055/2955 base from a to z and selling them like pancakes. Every morning as I greeted him, made me feel so tiny. Do you know him?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg input lm.JPG (37.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 25th November 2020, 06:29 AM   #15
indra1 is online now indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi, with max supply at +- 30V and stability at gain >10, there was little need for the inputs to handle > 3V swing. Of course the real limit needs to be tested, but no surprise if distortion starts to jump at a relatively low voltage swing at the inputs. Perhaps it is more rewarding to bootstrap an op amp driving a follower, then add the current multiplier and other desired enhancements.

Sorry, I do not know the young man you mentioned, from late 90s to about a couple years ago I was mostly in Jakarta.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Bootstrapped op amp.gif (27.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 25th November 2020, 09:06 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Indeed most opamps distort when reach rail voltages to see if the dropout 4v is sufficient to maintain the input transistors biased . The Michaels purpose is to reflect the output and plate impedances to each other so that the speaker sees the nonlinear character of the plate and the plate sees the reactive and resistive elements of the speaker. By this you can use a small triode and make it resemble to a high power SET, ingenious idea, Thank you Michael.
Old 25th November 2020, 09:10 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktrader200 View Post
Lm1875 is not unity gain stable
Av greater then 10 to be stable.
More discussion about stability is taking place here How to parallel multiple power amps?
  Reply to this post

A new perspective on current-sharing hybrid amplifiersHide this!Advertise here!