Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Help me pick my next Tube Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2017, 09:31 AM   #1
ForsbackaKalle is offline ForsbackaKalle  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Help me pick my next Tube Project

Hi forum. This is my first post. But I have visiting this site for a while and like it a lot. My problem is that I donít know what will be my next Tube project. Iím sort of experienced and have built a couple of useful heaters 😉 but now I want to build something more powerful than SE. PP or parallel is in interest. Monoblocks will also be preferred. I have built with Lundahl transformers before and like them a lot so preferably go for those again. But I havenít used 300B tubes and would like to build with them sins I have heard a lot about them. I have tried to pick a project to build but havenít found anything suitable. Feel free to convince me to build something else too just for the reason itís a better Tube amplifier. Because simplicity and quality/performance is on topic and off course a very useful high-end amp.
Thanks // Kalle G
Old 8th December 2017, 03:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This is one of my recent amps SE 6550 12ax7 with Lundahl trafos both in and out with separate powersupply. Works fine but needs high sensivity speakers like horns.. so please suggest new projects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg valve amp 6550.jpg (981.6 KB, 289 views)
Old 8th December 2017, 04:34 PM   #3
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Millett Engineer’s amp. and 50W monoblock "Engineers Amp"
Old 8th December 2017, 05:05 PM   #4
artosalo is offline artosalo  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...now I want to build something more powerful than SE. PP or parallel is in interest.
Quote:
But I haven’t used 300B tubes and would like to build with them sins I have heard a lot about them.
So you want to build PP with 300B tubes ?
Old 11th December 2017, 07:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

@artosalo PP with 300B is probably not a good solution ,but Parallel SE could be a solution to get enough power for regular speakers. If you as in my case want to use 300B.
What about this solution?
300B parallel single-ended tube amp | audioroot
I think it could be a good compromise to power/gain, high fidelity and straightforward build...
I have no experience to build with coupling transformer but Think it could be nice. Any opinions?
Old 11th December 2017, 08:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What about this solution?
Why not if the below quote from that article were even nearly true:

"The amp uses two tubes in parallel, which makes it easy to produce 30 Watts of clean and wonderful single-ended 300B power!"

With given values the amplifier can put out max. 20 W with high distortion (about 6 %).
Not so wonderful to me.

In general, if you require 30 W or so, the PP amplifier would be much, much cheaper.

Last edited by artosalo; 11th December 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11th December 2017, 12:49 PM   #7
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

PP 300Bs disposes of the (IMO) excessive 2nd order HD the type produces Lynn Olson has done some nice things with PP 300Bs.

BTW, both cost and weight strongly favor acquiring PP O/P "iron".
Old 12th December 2017, 07:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

@artosalo thanks for information. Do you have any scematic you prefer for me?
Old 12th December 2017, 09:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Parallel 300B SE is fully OK, but 30 W is not available, if this is important to you.
I would have higher load impedance and thus essentially lower THD, with just slightly lower max. output power.

I know that one 300B / channel (~8 W) would be in practice more than sufficient for me
with these speakers: Giant FS-100N | VEF Radiotehnika RRR
Old 12th December 2017, 10:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artosalo View Post
Parallel 300B SE is fully OK, but 30 W is not available, if this is important to you.
I would have higher load impedance and thus essentially lower THD, with just slightly lower max. output power.

I know that one 300B / channel (~8 W) would be in practice more than sufficient for me
with these speakers: Giant FS-100N | VEF Radiotehnika RRR
Yes, I donít need 30W but could certainly need more than 8. I have speakers with sensitivity 90dB and tube amp with ca 8W but would love to be able to also load any normal regular speaker. And Iím open to go for any PP or parallel with really good quality sound.

Help me pick my next Tube ProjectHide this!Advertise here!