• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL509 OTL for high impedance speaker array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I would like to try and build a OTL amp based on EL509, but I would like to run a single tube and construct a large array of high impedance speakers to achieve a suitable impedance for the output tube without using parallel tubes. What would be a good impedance for a EL509 or similar tube? I was thinking just above 3kOhm. How do I calculate and decide working parameters? Desired frequency range is roughly 250Hz-16kHz so this is no attempt to build the ultimate OTL amplifier capable of driving everything, I just want to satisfy my curiosity and build another tube amp :)

I did my first OTL test with the circuit described by Philips for EL86, I didn't use EL 86 but some other tubes that I had including PL509, (0.3A series heater version of EL509). The result was so good that I continued to develop OTLs. This schematic is simple and use 2 tubes but it is not 100% balanced and give a lot of 2nd order distortion but sound is quite good!

elotl.jpg

Components need to be adjusted for other tubes than EL86

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.