• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

el84 quad schematic..something is wrong...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i want to build some how a cheap amp using el84' and found this schematic...
is it ok? values are correct? i find it not reasonable that the OT impedance is 1.25k..mmm...

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/el84_4.htm

el84_5a.gif

Good idea. The Hammonds are bigger than necessary and they are quite heavy, too.

Winding a 1,25k/8R OPT shouldn´t be too hard, since winding capacitances etc. becomes less important at lower impedance ratios. With four EL84´s (Ok, 6BQ5´s) in // you won´t need an extremely high primary inductance, 10-15H or so should be enough for a good bass response.

A piece of cake compared to, say, a 10k/8R OPT with 100H prim. inductance.

Good point, robo7

If I were to build this circuit I´d change the input/driver stage completely.
Say, one ECC88 per channel with one section as gain stage and the other as cathode follower using direct coupling between the two.
No need for all the gain of a ECC83, but the current capability of a ECC88 would be at hand for driving the input capacitance of the four power tubes.

thank you looks nice!! what kind of sound...?

1.what kind of sound i will expect to get with the tubes above and with the nice circuit you posted?
2. can i parallel 2 more el84's to inc power?(with a 4k primary instead of the 8k)?
i dont want lots of wattage but i think i would like to use 4 in lower power and get more wattage then 2 in max power (longer life right)? :)

have a great day:) its sunny here

hay DUD,

"what kind of sound i will expect..."

it depends on:
1. the quality of the parts you use.
2. the speakers you wand to drive.

(very)generally speaking, the 84's sound is clear & sweet.

"can i parallel 2 more el84's to inc power"
Yes, "with a 4k primary " as you already wrote.

have a nice day.

Robonibi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.