• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido Cathode Follower Input Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello folks,

I have a Glassware PS1 regulated PSU kit and a ACF 9 pin Cathode follower kit on its way to me and I am doing some planning on the other parts for this build.

I have seen the chart detailing output impedances of the various valve options but I am a little unsure what sort of input impedances I would be looking at with the cathode follower kit.
I haven't quite decided on the valves but 6CG7 or 6DJ8 is probably what I will go for.

I am looking at options for potentiometers and will probably use a shunt stepped attenuator. Would a 100K series resistor based shunt POT be a good bet in the ACF 9 pin with 6CG7 and 6DJ8?

One of my sources has a relatively high output impedance at around 3.5K.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi and many thanks for the reply!

I guess it would defeat the object of this being a buffer if it did not offer a high input impedance.

It does state the following in the instructions that I found on the glassware audio website.

"This unity-gain buffer, using a modified cathode follower, offers a high input
impedance and a low output impedance and low distortion and great PSRR."

I have attached the schematic and also the table with the part values for the different valves that can be used in this circuit.

Attachments

• Aikido 9 Pin CF Schematic.jpg
    Aikido 9 Pin CF Schematic.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 448
  • Aikido 9 Pin CF Valve options.jpg
    Aikido 9 Pin CF Valve options.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 435
In my experience with the Aikido circuits: 6CG7 = warm and tubey, 6DJ8 = much more incisive (depending on tube chosen). Russian reissue E88CC Genalex is a decent sounding tube. Avoid the ECG Philips (and others of similar USA manufacture). The sound is dreadful.
6DJ8 will have a lower output impedance than a 6CG7, see Zo on the chart. Also you can run 6DJ at 150 to 200 volts where the 6CG usually runs 250 to 350, if that makes any different to you.

Steve With no annoying tag line. Oops.

In my experience with the Aikido circuits: 6CG7 = warm and tubey, 6DJ8 = much more incisive (depending on tube chosen). Russian reissue E88CC Genalex is a decent sounding tube. Avoid the ECG Philips (and others of similar USA manufacture). The sound is dreadful.
6DJ8 will have a lower output impedance than a 6CG7, see Zo on the chart. Also you can run 6DJ at 150 to 200 volts where the 6CG usually runs 250 to 350, if that makes any different to you.

Steve With no annoying tag line. Oops.

Thanks for this, I was actually thinking of asking for recommendations for tubes, but there are so many old Aikido threads asking similar questions that I thought folk might by tired of replying to such questions.:)

I was looking at the table and 6DJ8 looks the best candidate from an output impedance point of view. Your description of 6DJ8 vs 6CG7 also suggests this would suit my system and taste better.

Any other recommendations for 6DJ8 or equivalent tubes would certainly be very welcome.

If you build it point to point like I do or you get an adaptor a 5670/6N3P is great with a 220R R3/R6 250V.

I had thought about point to point and would like to do this ideally, but would not feel confident so I have gone with the full kits including PCBs. Actually, reading as much as I can on these forums about the Aikido kits is making me feel a little nervous about the build!

I have successfully put together a good number of kit based projects previously, but they have generally been more straight forward in that there were fewer or no options and "forks in the road" as such. I also keep coming across mentions of bags being labelled incorrectly or mistakes in the instructions / schematics with the glassware kits.

One minor flaw with some of the Aikidos....

Is that sometimes tube designators will be reversed. For instance V1, the input tube for one channel will be labelled V2, the input tube for the other, and vise versa. It can drive you a bit nuts if you are trying to compare the board to the schematic.

The instructions are fairly basic, you don't get the "Heathkit" style of detail.

I've not had any parts mislabelled but you might get several values for some of the resistors. You choose depending on the tube you use or in the case of a power supply the output voltages you want.

See the following for details on an Aikido build and 6DJ8 tube shootout.

Cheers, Steve (first snow of the season here last night :deerman:)

Battle of the Cheap Line Stages – Part 1 | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

Vacuum Tube Shootout: 6DJ8 types (part 1) | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

Vacuum Tube Shootout: 6DJ8 types (part 2) | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

Thanks a lot for your help that's great. I shall have a good read of those threads.

The PS1 kit and the ACF kit have just been delivered an hour ago! I chose to get all of the resistors with the ACF so i should be covered for a few options. Just got to do some reading / planning I guess now.

one thing I haven't quite got my head around when looking at the impedance of connected bits of kit is the output impedance. Are these also in parallel with each other in the same way that input impedance is?

In my example looking at the 333K input impedance of the Aikido ACF, this is in parallel with the input impedance of the POT that I chose, so if I use a 50K standard POT the source component sees 43472.58 ohms.

Is the output impedance of both the 50K POT (12.5K half volume highest point) and source (3.5K) in parallel? i.e. 2734.38 ohms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.