• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido Cathode Follower Input Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is the output impedance of both the 50K POT (12.5K half volume highest point) and source (3.5K) in parallel? i.e. 2734.38 ohms?

Yes and no. The 50k pot and preceding output Z are in parallel from the perspective of any signal trying to couple onto the cable from a remote source, e.g. ambient hum.
But the output Z and pot are in series from the perspective of the wanted audio signal being fed onto the cable.

moley said:
In my example looking at the 333K input impedance of the Aikido ACF, this is in parallel with the input impedance of the POT that I chose, so if I use a 50K standard POT the source component sees 43472.58 ohms.
Yes, at maximum volume. The source sees 50k at minimum volume.

Is the output impedance of both the 50K POT (12.5K half volume highest point) and source (3.5K) in parallel? i.e. 2734.38 ohms?
The maximum output impedance from the pot is (pot+source)/4, so for 3.5k source (qyuite a high value?) and 50k pot this is 13.375k.

Each point in the circuit has an impedance to ground too, as Merlin says.

I am considering whether I could wire up two pairs of outputs from my ACF build, an unbalanced pair and a balanced pair.

If I was to use a simple 1:1 center tapped transformer to create a balanced output, is there anything else to consider with regards to the effects of the input impedance of the transformer and the output impedance looking into the power amp that the ACF would be connected to.

Is it simply a case of using a 1:1 transformer and the impedances will be the same as if I had not used the transformer and simply wired up unbalanced outputs at the output of the Aikido ACF?

I was looking at a pair of second hand Sowter 4231
(Primary 600 Ohm - Secondary 600 Ohm - Ratio 1:1)

many thanks.

Yes, at maximum volume. The source sees 50k at minimum volume.

The maximum output impedance from the pot is (pot+source)/4, so for 3.5k source (qyuite a high value?) and 50k pot this is 13.375k.

Each point in the circuit has an impedance to ground too, as Merlin says.

Sorry, I hope you don't mind, I am just returning to this calculation. I understand that this is with the POT halfway, the maximum output impedance and either side of this it is lower, but how, in terms of a formula, would I calculate the output impedance if the volume control is not at halfway?

Is it something like the output impedance of the source + the series leg of
POT and this total in parallel with the shunt leg of the POT?

Using this method with a standard 50K POT at half vol and 3.5K source as above, I get 13,317.76 which is close to the 13,375 in your answer above but not correct so my formula is obviously not correct.

many thanks.

I am considering whether I could wire up two pairs of outputs from my ACF build, an unbalanced pair and a balanced pair.

If I was to use a simple 1:1 center tapped transformer to create a balanced output, is there anything else to consider with regards to the effects of the input impedance of the transformer and the output impedance looking into the power amp that the ACF would be connected to.

Is it simply a case of using a 1:1 transformer and the impedances will be the same as if I had not used the transformer and simply wired up unbalanced outputs at the output of the Aikido ACF?

I was looking at a pair of second hand Sowter 4231
(Primary 600 Ohm - Secondary 600 Ohm - Ratio 1:1)

many thanks.

You might try the Hammond [SIZE=+1]850QA
[/SIZE]

Your idea is correct but you applied it to the wrong pot position. If the source has non-zero output impedance then the max pot output impedance occurs a bit above halfway, where the resistance to ground (pot alone) is equal to the total resistance to source (rest of pot+source).

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated, yes that does make sense now thinking it through. I have read a number of articles online around this subject and a number of forum threads also but have not been able to nail it down until now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.