Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Restoration of 60's Viking RCS-506 tuner/amp for CF Eaton
Restoration of 60's Viking RCS-506 tuner/amp for CF Eaton
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2017, 08:07 PM   #11
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

The old cans can be emptied and stuffed with modern parts. Another way to go is using clamp mounted snap in parts in the holes the cans occupy.
Old 8th November 2017, 08:11 PM   #12
myrddin is offline myrddin
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrddin View Post
Don't worry, I have a separate stereo system with Linear Tracking turntable, and magnetic cartridge.
OOps...Should read moving magnet (MM) cartridge !
Old 9th November 2017, 11:06 AM   #13
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Unlikely to be live chassis. It has a mains transformer and 5U4 rectifier.

I recall a 1950's Philips radio (I think it was a Sagitta) that a friend of mine gave to me as I was a young boy. It featured a mains transformer, a tube set that was typical for an European AC radio set in those days: ECC85, ECH81, EF89, EABC80, EL84, and even a two way rectifier EZ80 was present. But it had a live chassis, though, as the power tranny actually was an autoformer, with the first part of it's single winding being the 6.3 V heater supply, followed by several taps for the different mains voltages, and a 250 V prolongation to which both rectifier's plates were connected in parallel.

A few years ago I myself pulled a small Grundig kitchen radio out of the dumpster. It had three E series tubes, an UCL82 AF amplifier, and also an autoformer with a live chassis and a one way selenium rectifier.

This led me to be very cautious and first make some essential measurements, before plugging any unknown device into the mains outlet.

Best regards!
Old 9th November 2017, 12:37 PM   #14
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

True, which is why I said "unlikely" and not 'impossible'. However, autotransformer radios are quite rare.

Restoration of 60's Viking RCS-506 tuner/amp for CF EatonHide this!Advertise here!