• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for a Tube Kit Amp for my Living room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a tube amplifier kit, mostly because I don't have the facilities to make a nice looking chassis.
I currently have a Elekit TU-8200 in my office/Den but it's only 8 watts so a bit light for use in my living room.

I'm thinking something in the 25-50 watt range should be plenty for my living room.
The Dyanakit ST-70 looks good but I figured I should ask before I buy to see what else is available.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Joined 2011
I'm thinking something in the 25-50 watt range should be plenty for my living room.
The Dyanakit ST-70 looks good

These are pretty nice stainless steel replica Dyna chassis. Chassis
You can make a pair of Dyna Mark IV amps using these chassis and replica
Dyna transformers with your own driver circuit. Transformers
Or a complete replica Dyna amplifier. Amplifier Kits

Last edited:
Hi HarryY,

I've been running one of the ST-70 kit clones for about eight years now, and I can recommend it without hesitation. I was easy to build and has done everything I've asked of it - and the tubes are cheap to boot. The ability to switch between ultralinear and triode modes is nice too, when the occasions arise; it's like having two amps in one chassis. :D

I haven't any direct experience with any of the other ST-70 clones out there but I'd imagine they're capable of similar performance. Parenthetically, I'd originally considered restoring an original ST-70 before buying the kit, and was astonished to discover that the total cost was more than if I'd simply purchased the kit - and I still would've had a 40+ year-old amp with a flaking chassis. But if you could find a donor amp or iron for cheap, that just might be your ticket.

Just my $0.02...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.