Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Audion Edison 60 building and using report
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2017, 12:14 PM   #1
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

Default Audion Edison 60 building and using report

I finally defeated my laziness and decided to write a short Audion Edison 60 building report:
Edison 60 prices and options

I have got all the available options (incl. tantalum and foil capacitors), but not the silver wire. The variant built here is the Edison 60 plus dual monoblock 30W push-pull Class A amp, with the Silver Night output transformers. As a short background, I am an Electrical/Software engineer, with limited background in High Voltage (think >30.000V) applications, and significant experience in low voltage (48-1200V) region.

The kit was delivered excellently packed, in just a few days after placing the order. I found it impressive that the output trafos were wound and baked after the order was placed. This configuration, as seen in the pictures did require some careful planning and hole drilling, in order to allow a symmetrical transformer arrangement.
Although this was not my first build, it took me a significant number of days to finish it. I do take a lot of pleasure in working slowly and to perfection, while anticipating the final result. The kit does offer a lot of satisfaction from this point of view.

As seen in the pictures, the "Plus" kit comes with two power supply toroids+boards. The amp itself is a hybrid between point-to-point and board soldered constructions. The soldering itself is not particularly challenging, with parts this size.
The oscilloscope screen shots show the square wave response during the amp's burn-in process (after 2 minutes from the first power up, capacitors not yet polarized, after 50 hours and finally settled after 100 hours). Any questions, comments, suggestions, etc, are welcome .

Last edited by fb2017; 13th August 2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11th August 2017, 08:52 AM   #2
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

Nobody has any opinion on this?
Old 11th August 2017, 10:07 AM   #3
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb2017 View Post
Oh, BTW, sound-wise, this is probably the best 30W amp one can get period. I'm using it with 98dBmW FE206En speakers (usually <1W, but sometimes at a very loud 15W of power), and the bass-mids-high dynamics, stage presentation and (lack of) noise is better than anything I've ever heard before. Can't imagine this being significantly improved by another amp, for sure.
A lot of hyperbole here, but as long as you like it, that's all it matters.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:50 AM   #4
BinaryMike is offline BinaryMike  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The oscilloscope screen shots show the 1kHz square wave response during the amp's burn-in process (after 2 minutes from the first power up, capacitors not yet polarized, after 50 hours and finally settled after 100 hours).
Are there electrolytic caps in the signal path?
Old 12th August 2017, 04:56 AM   #5
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
… 98dBmW FE206En speakers...
More like 96 dB.

30W seems a bit optimistic for a pr of EL34 in Class A.

dave
Old 12th August 2017, 05:26 AM   #6
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

I have measured it, it actually produces exactly 32W in an 8 Ohm resistor, before any soft clipping occurs, with a 2V 1000 Hz input signal.

98dB - I have also measured those, with a UMIK and REW, but not in a soundproof room.
Old 12th August 2017, 05:34 AM   #7
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Did you verify that the amp was still in Class A at clipping?

I have measured over 30 of them and they are pretty consistently 96 dB +/- 0.5 dB (which is also the factory spec).

dave
Old 12th August 2017, 06:11 AM   #8
Welcome is offline Welcome  France
diyAudio Member

Looks like the whole kit is straight from the 80's! I can't believe they still have all that left in stock after all this time.
Old 12th August 2017, 08:00 AM   #9
waltube is offline waltube  Italy
diyAudio Member

You can check easily the class if you put a 1 ohm 1 watt resistor in series to each cathode of the EL34 to ground.
With the scope you can see the wave; if it is 360 you are in class A.
When one half becoming "compressed" you are moving to class AB. On load you can read the value of V.

Walter
Old 12th August 2017, 08:09 AM   #10
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

>Are there electrolytic caps in the signal path?
LOL, nope, of course not. You can see the four big golden ERO foil capacitors in the pictures. Those are the signal caps (1000V .33uF). They do polarize with usage, and the process takes about 100 hours, as seen on the scope traces.

>Did you verify that the amp was still in Class A at clipping?
Vpq is less than 60% of B+ at 30W, but honestly I didn't do any deeper measurements, as I'm using it mostly under 1W, usually. Presuming it stays in Class A over the range (I still have the scope trace screenshots at 30W, but the class can't be seen from there).
Their specs also mention pure Class A @30W also, and I've found their specs to be very accurate.
The Audion Silver Night output transformers are for up to 50W.
98dB - for sure it's because of my room's reflection. I don't doubt the speaker's 96 dB spec or your measurement.

>Looks like the whole kit is straight from the 80's! I can't believe they still have all that left in stock after all this time.

Yep well, it's a tube amp, in the typical British design. WAF is very high on this one, basically it looks good with the mirrored stainless steel.
I don't quite understand the negativity here. I'm posting a tube amp building report on a freaking tube amp DIY forum...

Audion Edison 60 building and using reportHide this!Advertise here!