Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6J1 China preamp thoughts
6J1 China preamp thoughts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2017, 07:18 PM   #21
colinmel is offline colinmel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have built one of these Chinese pre-amps and I must say I quite like it. I'm new to valves/tubes so can anyone tell me why so much of the circuitry in these amps is taken up with providing current limiters on the + & - supplies? (The limiters kick in at 14ma but the valves only draw 4mA ish) Are they essential for a valve amp?
Old 26th July 2017, 08:22 PM   #22
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcan View Post
This is the schematic dragram of the board on the picture at the beginning of the this thread.
Fever 6j1 Tube Pre-amp Circuit - CircuitLab
That's absolutely terrible. Such a low load on that poor little 6J1 is going to make all sorts of distortion and will have poor drive capabilities.

There's also a bit of an error in the schematic, since as its drawn, there'd be -28V present at the output of the preamp (why not ground the -28V rail and get rid of the coupling cap at the input?

It's also a little odd that the cathode resistor isn't bypassed; that isn't doing them any favors.

YGWYPF
Old 27th July 2017, 06:58 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

The schematic is wrong. The 100K load resistor does in fact go to ground.

I guess the consensus is that these poor little tubes would be working in a more linear region when supplied with a higher plate voltage and higher cathode current? (more linear = less distortion?)

I'm still puzzled by the inclusion of the current limit circuits though.
Old 27th July 2017, 07:09 AM   #24
6V6dude is offline 6V6dude  Australia
diyAudio Member

No it's nothing serious but it's fun to experiment with it. I've just build another one and will try to put passive Baxandal between the two to see if it has enough gain for at least 1:1 output with it.
Old 27th July 2017, 07:16 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazello View Post
Not headphone buffer. This can only work when connected to amplifier and headphones from the amplifier. I tried to connect headphones to mine and the output level is next to nothing. See the connectors ion photos - RCA.
Old 27th July 2017, 08:06 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I agree 6V6dude, these kits are a great way to get into experimenting with valves/tubes.

I too have another kit on the way on which I will experiment to try and improve the performance and learn a little on the way. (Although I'm really pleasantly surprised at the sound of this thing straight out of the box/jiffy bag!)

Any thoughts on the importance of the current limit circuits?
Old 27th July 2017, 02:26 PM   #27
azazello is offline azazello  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

6J7 is not very good....I changed it to 6J5P with more current and sound is more better.
Projects: SE GK71, SE 12BQ6, PP KT88, OTL-OCL 6AS7 Gen. Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, E84L Siemens, E236L Telefunken, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA,...
Old 27th July 2017, 02:46 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

azazello, this amp uses a pair of 6J1's. The provided tubes sounded fine to me. I swapped for a pair of GE 5654W's (cost more than the whole kit) and I can't say I noticed a whole lot of improvement. (Maybe it's just me!) Having fun though.
Old 29th July 2017, 09:08 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Just trying things, I've put Baxandal between the two 6J1 boards. It makes one fine tone control. Sounds as good as my 300V 12AU7 tone control with about the same gain. I'm quiet impressed. Just to think I could have saved days building one. But than again what I've build will last for ever. The 6J1 one is just a board with everything cramped on it, transistors for voltage trippler and I don't like the series heater setup because it drifts over time or if tubes aren't well matched. But yes it does work very well for tone control regardless.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by 6V6dude; 29th July 2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 24th August 2017, 06:16 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Has anyone managed to remove the slight mains hum from these 12AC voltage doubler versions?

6J1 China preamp thoughtsHide this!Advertise here!