• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6J1 China preamp thoughts

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
folks folks...ok, many preamps serve as headphone amps
but look at that circuit I posted!
that's the circuit I am talking about
it's a preamp (with gain), not buffer, not headphone amp
it has high impedance output
it can not drive low impedance headphones
maybe those 10k ohm ones they used in second world war
I am not talking about your stuff
that circuit I posted can not drive headphones, hence when the poster plugged headphones to it, the volume went down, he basically shorted the output
that's why I replied the way I did
yet you talk about your stuff

Last edited:
folks folks...ok, many preamps serve as headphone amps
but look at that circuit I posted!
that's the circuit I am talking about
it's a preamp (with gain), not buffer, not headphone amp
it has high impedance output
it can not drive low impedance headphones
maybe those 10k ohm ones they used in second world war
I am not talking about your stuff
that circuit I posted can not drive headphones, hence when the poster plugged headphones to it, the volume went down, he basically shorted the output
that's why I replied the way I did
yet you talk about your stuff

Yes well said, If only people could read a hole thread instead of just commenting on the last post.
Things end up way off topic and messy.

its a terrible circuit
4 transistors are in power supply
signal goes through the tubes only
i rebuilt this preamp into quite good buffer, there is thread about it
6J1 buffer/preamp

I assume this is the post you're referring to? Not terrible, but not ideal, either. the 6J1 triode strapped is fine with 300V B+ and about 15k plate load.

preamplifier is not headphone amplifier

for clarity the 6J1 preamp you posted is not a headphone amplifier, but not all preamplifiers are only for line duty. This is why others commented about running headphones.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
... and I asked because I understood it as that this little 6J1 preamp can be modified to be a headphone amp ... ;)

I have a few of the 6J1 - both as preamp with gain, and several modified to be buffer. As a buffer / follower, it actually is not that bad, especially if you consider the price ...

But now I had a look at the thread kodabmx linked, and see that there is not a close relationship with the 6J1 preamp. It looks interesting, though. :D

Regards, Claas

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nothing. The best generalization is, "Any generalization can be wrong" :)

The right answer would be, about output resistance of this particular amp, in respect to load resistance by headphones.

sorry my response did not satisfy you, i was not generalizing, I was simply replying to previous post, particular preamp, particular post, particular application
that preamp is not headphone amp
period

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why are you so sure that I will tell you anything, ever? :D

I do not think you ever did!
while I am not tube guy, I do lots of tube projects
I was rebuilding an old magnavox console, amazingly sounding little amp, nope, you did not reply to any of my questions about the feedback
I was upgrading an old musical fidelity tube headphone amp, nope, no reply from you
recently I was optimizing magic eye tube indicator, nope, no reply from you
I had questions about kt88 amp, nope, no reply from you
right now I am working on adopting aikido cathode follower for balanced driving of F1J, I may post some, I got some decware gear, some bottlehead gear, some tube shiit gear, I built a number of 6SN7 and 6N1P based headphone amps, still I am not a tube expert like you
I tried to be helpful, lots of people bought that little circuit I posted above, majority ended disappointed
you offered no real solution to that circuit
so why would you start replying to my posts now?
especially with generalization about generalization nonsense

Joined 2004
Paid Member
In completely different thread, i worked on this little circuit. I addressed the hum by splitting the power supply, separate for heater, separate for HV. I beefed up filtration for heater. I kept the same 12 volt trafo. Once i split voltage multiplier from heater part, i fed this with 24 volt ac, upgraded some capacitors and got rid of the smoothing transistors in power supply. They were dropping some volts. It increased voltage from ~47 to over 100. This helped linearity a lot. Idealy it should be over 150. It was almost listenable at the end.

warm up the pre for several hours and it sounds amazing! clear. detailed.
I turn it on at 10am and play it at 5pm. listened to the pre last night for 5 hours straight. if using an amp with a volume control, crank up the pre all the way and use the amp volume. increase bass gently. the pre doesn't sound as mellow as my 60's tube-console amp(which I have listened to, into the wee hours of the morning), but it's darn good. AC adapter is putting out about 13.30vac and using a variac at 120-121vac. using onkyo a9555, yamaha ns 1000's with pots set below -3db on mids and tweets at normal, cd and USB/mp3 music from a marantz cd player. using yamaha mx 1000 makes the sound felt, intensely- beware of horn damage!
a dc transformer can be converted to ac by splitting it open and removing or bypassing the bridge rectifier. upping the poly caps in between the tubes to 2.7uf made the most dramatic difference in sound quality to me(besides the hum mod).

Tube preamp with 6j1!
With good hi-fi sound...

Attachments

• IMG_20220225_042601.jpg
    IMG_20220225_042601.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 128