• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Identification of Amperex 12AX7A ECC83

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a tube that looks like it's NOS but I am having trouble validating it. It's marked as an Amperex 12AX7A (ECC83) and has "West Germany" stamped on it. I've seen several Amerpex 12AX7A pics on the net, but none indicating West Germany. So I'm wondering if this tube might be counterfeit.

Any thoughts from tube aficionados?

EDIT: Live links to original images on codekineses removed due to AVG reporting malware coming from that site

Amperex1.jpg
Amperex2.jpg

Amperex3.jpg
Amperex4.jpg

Amperex5.jpg

EDIT [by mbratch]: The above noted EDIT is questionable. Here's the output from AVG threat labs:

avgscan.png

Attachments

• Amperex1.jpg
    Amperex1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Amperex2.jpg
    Amperex2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Amperex3.jpg
    Amperex3.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Amperex4.jpg
    Amperex4.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Amperex5.jpg
    Amperex5.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I have two tubes like that identical to your pictures. I was curious about the plate structure too as it resembles more like a 12AT7. I just go with the label. I never used or tested in a circuit but they tested about the same as other 12AX7's in a tube tester. I don't think they're counterfeits, just something different.

Looking thru all my 12ax7a / 7,s all of them have taller plates in comparison to yours
I would have to agree with DD - they do appear similar to AT 7,s

Regards
David

I have other brand 12AX7's that have shorter plates. I have a couple of JJ ECC83S that have even slightly shorter plates than these. Perhaps Amperex at some point ventured into the short plate 12AX7 realm. But I haven't found any confirmation anywhere that these are authentic.

Last edited:
I have two tubes like that identical to your pictures. I was curious about the plate structure too as it resembles more like a 12AT7. I just go with the label. I never used or tested in a circuit but they tested about the same as other 12AX7's in a tube tester. I don't think they're counterfeits, just something different.
I have a couple of JJ ECC83S have slightly shorter plates than these.

RFT tubes

Good afternoon from Greece! I think these tubes are RFT tubes from former East Germany,It is RFT ECC83 tube,very good quality,and pretty cheap. You can find these tubes in Ebay from East European sellers! It is the best NOS tubes,and very cheap! I have ecc81,and ecc83 it is pretty similar but electrical is different tubes! At the last tube production days too many European and American factories buy from this company large quantities of tubes! i have see these tubes as Telefunken Mullard Brimar Tungsram RSD Edicron etc,from Europe,and GE RCA and Amperex from USA. Do not buy NOS tubes,i see on Ebay very high prices,especially GEC kt88,and other old almost dead american and German tubes,and of course relabeled RFT tubes. You can buy small signal tubes RFT,and FUNKWERK it is the same company in acceptable prices!

Definitely, RFT tubes. they are actually quite good and some guys really like them. If someone marked them Amperex, and that means it most likely was not Amperex, then, who knows what they would paint on as the country of origin. During those days in the 1970s and 80s when there was almost no "western" tube manufacturing, except for certain tubes for military, all kinds of rebranding was going on. You needed to know exactly what you were getting or you would get whatever.

Almost all "counterfeits" were branded by the authorized manufacturer. If they had orders for more than they had produced, they rebranded another manufacturer's parts. Amperex was a US maker of military and industrial tubes, bought by Philips in the '50s to get a channel into US military and industrial markets. They DID manufacture some 6922 and 6DJ8 (* code) in Long Island but mostly imported Philips, (including Mullard, Valvo and other divisions) and labeled them Amperex. They also relabeled US brands like Sylvania and GE (the last two survivors). I've seen Amperex tubes in vintage test equipment that were obviously Eastern European (maybe RFT). Currently Richardson owns the Amperex and Bugle Boy trademarks - who knows what they're relabeling.

The valves shown in post 1 look like fakes i.e. not made in a Philips group factory. What is unclear is whether they are official fakes (remarked by Philips, or given Philips marks by the original factory when asked to do so by Philips) or unofficial fakes. This may have a huge effect on their price, and exactly zero effect on their electrical performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.