• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A look at some Electrophoresis HV power supplies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Swiss readers : mutliple electrophoresis power supplies available

Hello everyone,

Ricardo is a swiss-based auction site. They currently run an auction for multiple electrophoresis power supplies, mostly Bio-Rad 1000/500. I have bought one and should get it on my bench within a week. Not sure about its performance, I will have a few tests done and report here. It might take some time as I'm in the middle of a relocation.

Just wanted to ping interested people. No idea if they will ship abroad. Note I'm not affiliated with neither Ricardo nor the vendor.

It’s been a while since I tested one but my recollection of the performance of these supplies is that they are fairly noisy and have some low frequency fluctuations in the DC output. They are not as precise or noise free as a conventional linear regulated supply. They use some sort of switching power supply system to generate the voltage. The application does not require extreme low noise and only needs to supply a voltage that is stable over a relatively long time constant compared to audio frequencies. An external filter could get rid of the HF noise.

This is the EC-135 after a few small mods, mentioned earlier in the thread.
The safety features were annoying to use for a bench supply.

Attachments

• volts.jpg
    volts.jpg
    935.5 KB · Views: 88
  • milliamps.jpg
    milliamps.jpg
    823.2 KB · Views: 87
  • max power.jpg
    max power.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
This is the basic one, transformer with switchable secondary feeding a bridge rectifier. Very reliable and indestructible. The same thing was offered by virtually all lab suppliers, Bio-Rad, Fisher, Pharmacia, etc., with different model numbers and minor cosmetic differences.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.