• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE output with PP transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey! I've read the other posts on this but don't find quite what I'm looking for.

I would like your opinions on the following idea.

Push pull transformer. One side a 6L6 or similar, the other side a 10M90S.

Would this effectively make a single ended amplifier with a PP transformer with the CCS just balancing DC in the core? I read about similar ideas but don't know anyone who's built it. Except for the ridiculous heat sink it seems like it would work?

Cheers.

Very interesting.

I know this is a simple drawing but would it work?

Cheers.

Attachments

• 2017-04-07 22-22-12.jpg
    2017-04-07 22-22-12.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Hey! I've read the other posts on this but don't find quite what I'm looking for.

I would like your opinions on the following idea.

Push pull transformer. One side a 6L6 or similar, the other side a 10M90S.

Would this effectively make a single ended amplifier with a PP transformer with the CCS just balancing DC in the core? I read about similar ideas but don't know anyone who's built it. Except for the ridiculous heat sink it seems like it would work?

Cheers.
Bias it for class A and use a power resistor for the inverted side Q-current.

Last edited:
Suitable heatsinks are cheap enough and easily salvaged from dead amps. Even a power resistor will likely need a decent heatsink. However a suitable power resistor will be more expensive than a IXY chip and a salvaged heatsink.
Additionally the CCS brings the benefits of a high impedance which will lower overall distortion.

Shoog

Suitable heatsinks are cheap enough and easily salvaged from dead amps. Even a power resistor will likely need a decent heatsink. However a suitable power resistor will be more expensive than a IXY chip and a salvaged heatsink.
Additionally the CCS brings the benefits of a high impedance which will lower overall distortion.

Shoog

That was my first idea. I already have 10M90S. Even salvaged heatsinks are expensive in Toronto.

The problem with this idea is the total power needed from the PS. Are you going to do stereo? An SE amp and one tube per output is going to run @50ma x 2 and the PS tranny is going to be sized for that. If you go 50ma x 4 you need a bigger PS tranny. Too much wasted power.

Class A is a waste of power in the first place so I'm not concerned about the transformer...

You will need a power heat sink.

Just use a second 6L6 and don't drive it.

Once you get there you might as well tie it's grid to ground and use a common cathode resistor, but now it is PP and will partially cancel 2nd Harmonics.

Or how about making it switchable by having a switch that can tie the cathodes together through a big cap? Use a CCS in each cathode bypassed by large caps, and use the switch to go from PP to SE?

Active Surplus went out of business, A1 has salvages heatsinks but he wants too much for them, and the only other electronics surplus guy has virtually no heatsinks. I know I could use a CPU heatsink but I don't want to go fanless and they aren't big enough for that.

Scrap metal dealers here mainly deal with actually scrap like washing machines etc.

All the good electronics shops have closed down... The one close to me wants 25 cents for one 1/2W resistor. I get them for about 1 cent from China.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.