• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

solderless amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How'd yawl build your first project as a kid? bet you didn't use solder.

I was building vacuum tube electronics and plugging them into the wall outlet long before I was allowed to solder...."those things get hot enough to burn you." And the wall outlet is harmless?

Early on I cut tube sockets out of dead TV's and radios. I chose sockets that already had an inch or two of wire or component lead soldered to each pin. These wires were wrapped around brass upholstery tacks which were hammered into a pine board. Other components and wires were also wrapped around the pin on the tack before hammering it in.

I had a 3 tube guitar amp running using this construction technique. Every so often I did have to give the tacks a whack or two to "tighten up the sound."

Eventually I created better prototyping methods, but they were just that, prototyping methods. I was also designing and making my own PC boards before I was a teenager.

I'm not going to debate the whole PTP vs PC board thing, because I know that good and bad amps can be done both ways. A good amp does require proper care in design, layout and build execution regardless of how it's executed.

The pictures show a prototype of a 80 watt screen driven push pull amp built without soldering.

Attachments

• 6AV5_amp.jpg
    6AV5_amp.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 70
  • TL6AV5_P-P.jpg
    TL6AV5_P-P.jpg
    955.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Tubelab3.jpg
    Tubelab3.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 75
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.