Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6SN7 push pull flea amplifier project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2018, 04:47 AM   #261
kstlfido is offline kstlfido  United States
diyAudio Member

Ha! Me too. When I un-earth them, I'll ping ya. What sort of power do you expect out of a 6BX7/BL7 build?
Old 14th October 2018, 05:04 AM   #262
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Well, from jhstewart9's simulations-

Quote:
From the sims it appears we could expect 2-3 Watts using the 6BL7 in PP at 250-300V. The 6BX7 looks OK for 5-6 Watts. All might be less, depending on the efficiency of the OPT.
So I'm thinking close to that would be nice. It's like running parallel outputs on a single socket at the low end, and five or so on the high end, depending on which tube is chosen

I'm also thinking of trying at least one build with the 6AS7G (6N13S) as well, just need iron for it. I'm also planning a big boy build using 12AV5GA outputs, for 40~50 watts out, which may win out as far as the priority of the budget is concerned, and I have found a way to reconfigure the flea board into a Williamson style front end to drive them! I may post up a brainstorming thread on that one soon.
Old 14th October 2018, 09:29 AM   #263
multi is online now multi  Australia
diyAudio Member

|Lingwendil
Will be interesting if you post up a brainstorming thread on the 6av5/12av5.
I just bought some 6AV5 for a SE. later hope to make Push pull __________________

Phil
Old 14th October 2018, 01:47 PM   #264
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I built a PP 12AV5GA amp (Triode, 300V, 56ma) and it sounds very nice. Loaned it to a buddy who's been beating the snot out of it for me. He really likes it. Good for about 30W. FWIW the *DQ6B has the same if not bigger guts and costs less, if you can deal with the plate cap.

Last edited by kodabmx; 14th October 2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 14th October 2018, 04:02 PM   #265
Lingwendil is offline Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

After ordering another set of three 12AV5GA (GE) for only $6USD shipped, only to simply add them to the twenty or so that I already have, I figure the time has come to actually build something with them, so that's the new pencil-and-paper project to take up my free time at work lately. Very little concrete design goals for that one, but the plan is 100VA toroids for output transformers for a ~3k or so load, push-pull pentode mode, and regulated ~150 volt or so screen supply. I have a 150VA dual primary/secondary isolation transformer that I added heater windings to, so it will likely use that transformer, which would have otherwise proven suitable for a 6AS7G build, albeit a bit large. I figure rectifying one winding to 160~ volts, and either the same for the other or voltage doubling it and stacking them will give plenty of voltage to play with. Time to look at voltage doubler schemes and see what makes the most. sense to get 150, 300, and 420~ or so out of a dual 115 volt secondary. Maybe simply rectifying both windings in series for ~320 volts, and capacitively coupling another bridge to that, and stacking it on the center tap? That should give ~480 or so before losses, which should work, I suppose.

Back to the flea amplifier front, I just realised that I have six russian surplus, 250 volt, 100nF K42Y PIO capacitors unused from another project, so they'll need to end up in a future flea build for sure. I might grab some motor-run PIO's for the PSU on that one too
Old 14th October 2018, 06:49 PM   #266
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I find the toroids work better for lower voltages to avoid low frequency saturation. And the low rp of the triode connection is nice, for sure. 12AV5GA is electrically VERY similar to a 6B4G, but it can handle a good 20W at least, some of them are good for 40W Pd.

6SN7 push pull flea amplifier projectHide this!Advertise here!