Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

6SN7 push pull flea amplifier project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2018, 01:02 PM   #191
Carlp is online now Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Sheesh, you're doing all this with a 2 year old in the house? Good on ya! Mine are 13 & 15, more independent but then they have lots of activities...

I would have suggested Elna for the caps, though there are some great Panasonic low ESR caps out there. If I can dig up some specific suggestions I'll do so. Anyway, good work!
Old 14th June 2018, 02:13 PM   #192
Lingwendil is online now Lingwendil  United States
Now with high-fructose ASSAULT-gluten!
diyAudio Member

Yep. He is way too smart for his own good. He is usually in my lap helping whenever I'm measuring resistors, mocking up parts, or doing design work on the laptop. At two years old he can already correctly use a screwdriver, put resistors into a breadboard, and loves to help out with everything he can, he is way too smart for his own good

Part of our nightly routine includes him turning off the main amplifier (while saying "night!" to it!) and then watching the tubes cool down. He's a treasure.

For capacitors, any part suggestions (preferably with links to digikey, mouser, newark, etc) would be appreciated! The film caps have a dual pattern for either 20mm axial or 15mm radial lead spacing, and the electrolytics have a 6.35mm lead spacing, with the main reservoir cap at power entry to the board having a dual pattern to also fit 7.5mm spacing... of course it's trivial to simply fit whatever you like in place by simply bending the leads a smidge. Hopefully I'll do a parts order this afternoon so I can stuff a couple mosfet and amplifier boards, as I'm planning on using one of the mosfet boards to build a big bench supply, and would prefer to grab some isolated mosfets, since I need to order PSU caps anyway. Isolated fets would mean that for most builds one could simply bolt the PSU straight to the chassis, since it's not likely to be dropping more than a watt or so in most applications.
Old 14th June 2018, 05:12 PM   #193
pcan is offline pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

On my build, the cathode capacitors are RS components part number 224-4404 (Rubycon YXF 10000h 105C), the 33uF filter capacitors are RS components part number 715-2325 (Nichicon CS 10000h 105c), and 10 uF filter capacitors are part number 726-0732 (Rubycon BXC 10000h 105c). My chassis is made of wood without ventilation and I selected high temperature long life parts. This was actually unnecessary because this amplifier is cold.
Old 14th June 2018, 06:19 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Good prices on those rubycon parts, and I've used them in the past so know they are good parts. I think that's a reasonable call out for the BOM for sure. 5mm lead spacing, but they will slide right into the PCB without fuss (and I'm running 5mm caps personally, I am also enlarging the through holes to accommodate multiple types, and will probably add additional holes on the next run of boards anyway)

35YXF470MEFC10X20 Rubycon | Capacitors | DigiKey

50YXF470MEFCG412.5X20 Rubycon | Capacitors | DigiKey

0.57USD each, or 4.01USD for ten is a good deal for sure too, for a 35 volt part, 0.90USD each, or ten for 6.60USD for the 50 volt version, not bad at all for a 10,000 hour part!
Old 14th June 2018, 06:35 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

For power caps, there are a bunch of good looking rubycons with a 10,000hr+ rating, but 10, 22, and 47 are the values most likely to be used here, I suspect.

https://www.digikey.com/short/j9zz5f
1.34USD each,

https://www.digikey.com/short/j9zz20
1.37USD each,

https://www.digikey.com/short/j9zznf
2.04USD each.

47uF for the main reservoir, and either 10uF or 22uF at the splitter would work well. I think for now these will be the callouts on the BOM too. If anyone has any similar parts to suggest let me know.
Old 14th June 2018, 06:43 PM   #196
pcan is offline pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

They have a very good price/performance ratio. I used 50V parts because they have slightly lower ESR (and to avoid stocking both 35V and 50V parts for my projects). According to Rubycon current literature, the recommended general purpose long life and low impedance series for new designs is YXJ, it has same or better specification than YXF but is smaller. The YXF parts will probably be phased out in the future, but today they are a little bit cheaper and easier to source.
Old 14th June 2018, 07:23 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

I really like the rubycon caps, and they are definitely a good value and great performance.

For the coupling caps, I like axial lead poly types, but since I'm running out of my favorites (Siemens 250 volt 100nF polyester film, the yellow dudes) I've selected these 400 volt guys from Vishay-

BFC237351104 Vishay BC Components | Capacitors | DigiKey

If anybody can recommend something similar, I'm all ears, but these are very nice quality, and 0.92USD each, or ten for 7.02USD. Any 15mm box type cap will likely fit well. Alternatively, if you want what I like to use, these are my usual coupling cap for ~300 volt supply applications, and only 40 each-

West Florida Components - 0.1uF .1 uF 250V Axial Polyester Film Capacitor Vintage Siemens

West Florida components has some cool stuff, btw. Nice place to grab axial type caps, and a handful of other neat and useful older parts.
Old 18th June 2018, 04:51 PM   #198
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

What do you think of using fixed bias on this design instead? I've used it on higher power amps with toroidal PT OPTs with good success, but the power is so low I'm thinking you could just use 9V batteries for grid bias. I'm gonna kang one together and see how it is.
Old 18th June 2018, 05:06 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

I've had a design drawn up for a while that is parallel outputs (4x per channel) that is fixed bias, with direct coupled ZVN0545 source followers to drive the grids. The secondaries of the output transformer are connected in series, with the center tap grounded, and either end is stacked under the cathode of each side for differential local feedback in the output stage. I figure it should be good for 7-8W or so without abusing things. If anything it should be more efficient but at these power levels, what's a little waste among friends?

Fixed bias would be a tad simpler, but loses the whole "it just automagically works" thing it's got going on. Still, it's worth a build, in my opinion. Could be a neat variant. If going fixed bias, source followers seem to be a given, too easy not too, then we can have some real fun

Last edited by Lingwendil; 18th June 2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 18th June 2018, 05:16 PM   #200
Carlp is online now Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
What do you think of using fixed bias on this design instead? I've used it on higher power amps with toroidal PT OPTs with good success, but the power is so low I'm thinking you could just use 9V batteries for grid bias. I'm gonna kang one together and see how it is.
If you're talking about fixed bias on the output tubes, then it becomes a very different animal. It may be a terrific animal, but very different. The garter arrangement provides a measure of balance using a feedback mechanism that is worlds apart from fixed bias. Since balance in the output PP architecture is vital to the sound of a PP amp, some mechanism to accomplish that is pretty important. Particularly in my case where I want to work with 6AS7 tubes, whose dual triodes are notoriously imbalanced within any one tube (and where we're talking about a pretty big negative supply for fixed bias, not a 9v). Note though that the feedback of the garter arrangement seems, in my mind, to push the cathode bias of the output to act somewhat like a fixed bias arrangement, so I've wondered if garter bias would adopt a sound somewhere between fixed and cathode bias.

I also plan to try the 6SN7 version, though, so I'm interested in your test, particularly if you can compare it to to the garter bias of this design.

6SN7 push pull flea amplifier projectHide this!Advertise here!