• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Secondary taps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need some advice on secondary taps.

In addition to 4/8 ohm taps would an added 6 or 16 ohm tap be more beneficial? Would a 6 ohm tap be superfluous? As for a 16 ohm tap my understanding is that if I were to hook up a 4-8 ohm speaker it would effectively make the output transformer behave more like a 8K+ transformer. Thereby lowering wattage but also lowering distortion? Would that be more beneficial for flexibility if I ever own horns?

On the other hand I have read that having only one or two secondary taps may lead to a nicer sounding transformer..

EDIT: It appears that a 16 ohm tap reduces the primary impedance and doesn't increase it. Disregard the 16 ohm question.

Last edited:
On the other hand I have read that having only one or two secondary taps may lead to a nicer sounding transformer..

I've heard from that also. I can't tell for sure whether a OT suffers sonically if not the entire secondary winding is active. But what I know for sure is that efficiency sucks, due to increased copper losses.

You'll have to interleave primary and secondary windings anyway. So you may divide the secondary in at least four 1 ohm sections. With these, you may obtain output impedances of 1, 4, 8 (9, to be true...), and 16 ohms very easily by combining serial and parallel connections, and this without any unnecessary copper loss.

Best regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.