Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Wiring a multi filament transformer?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2017, 08:30 AM   #1
DAK808 is offline DAK808  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring a multi filament transformer?

I have a mil type potted power transformer with 2 6.3vac filament taps. 1 pair is 4 amp for the power tubes, and the other pair is `1.2A for the signal tubes. So, the tubes will be located at the end of the chassis about 14" from the power trans.
I am thinking i will run 1 set of twisted wires for the power tubes around the edge of the chassis to a power tube and then across about 7" to the other power tube. and another set of twisted pair down the center of the chassis to the 2 driver tubes which are in a line with the power tubes but between the 2 power tubes and 3" apart.
Anyone have any comments or suggestions i would appreciate the help. cheers.
Old 21st January 2017, 08:56 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If the wires are tightly twisted, to reduce stray inductance soured interference, then that should be fine.
Old 21st January 2017, 10:32 AM   #3
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Sounds OK to me. Always a good idea to keep output stage heaters (high currents) away from small-signal stages.
Old 21st January 2017, 01:22 PM   #4
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Sounds OK to me. Always a good idea to keep output stage heaters (high currents) away from small-signal stages.
Agreed - my daily use amplifier has a transformer with 5 heater windings. Two are used for rectifiers, two for left and right channel output tubes, and one for the input and phase-splitter stages for both channels. Keeping stuff separate works incredibly well (for the past 22 years, in fact).
Old 21st January 2017, 04:50 PM   #5
DAK808 is offline DAK808  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
If the wires are tightly twisted, to reduce stray inductance soured interference, then that should be fine.
I will lay it out that way and report back later when everything is working. Cheers, 808

Wiring a multi filament transformer?Hide this!Advertise here!