• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Elevating heaters in separate channels together

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm playing around with a toy 3W SE amp that allows me lots of opportunity to experiment. I've cobbled together a couple of reasonable "spud" pre-amp ideas, but both incorporate cathode followers so the heaters need to be elevated to around 75V to be safe.

Assuming I ever build a stereo amp from this it's common sense to wire the heaters together for the two channels. But both tubes would be sharing the same resistor chain voltage tap to elevate the heaters.

Generally speaking is there a downside to this? I can't see what it would be off hand, but figured I'd better ask. Could the two channels somehow interfere?

Two resistors means that you still get some elevation if one channel loses its supply rail. I'm not sure that matters, though.

If you have seperate B+ supplies for each channel, I always put the same divider on each so that the load on the PS is the same, but I only use one to go ahead and raise the heater. Similar to how Gordon Rankin did the PS for the Bugle.
B+ for each channel is formed from splited Pi filters coming from the same reservoir cap and the power consumption of the DC elevator shouldn't be considerable I think. I suppose It could be done with one voltage divider right after the reservoir cap. So, unless it is something deeper than I can dive - very likely - I guess it's all about schematics aesthetics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.