Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High Voltage
Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High Voltage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2020, 05:30 AM   #441
opcom is offline opcom  United States
diyAudio Member

@ AllIsParadox:

I live too much in the past with those wireless video links and stuff.. - a smartphone with the facetime-like app or something would also be a way, if minutes are not an issue.

Last edited by opcom; 10th May 2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10th May 2020, 06:17 AM   #442
6A3sUMMER is offline 6A3sUMMER  United States
diyAudio Member

opcom,

The only 110VDC gear I ever saw was my brothers Philco AM 4 tube radio with 3-way power
(90VDC battery + 1.5V or 3V battery; 110VAC; and 110VDC).

Parallel resistors for a bleeder is a pretty good idea.
The problem with bleeder resistors is that you can get carried away.
Suppose you have an amplifier B+ filter that is CRCRCRC.
Which C do you put the parallel bleeder resistors across?
What if one of the 3 Rs in that B+ filter burns out, then one end or the other of that filter chain will not be bled down.
So you use 8 bleeder resistors just to be safe?

I use resistors that have power ratings of 5X the power that will be in them. They run cooler, and are less likely to fail.
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:41 AM   #443
jy999 is offline jy999
diyAudio Member

I'm a long-term electronics hobbyist getting started on tube amps. Boy this thread is giving me anxiety - this is terrifying! Good info, though. I'd rather be scared, and careful, than injured or dead.

I just picked up a 15w amp with a dead transformer (apparently). Waiting for my variac and parts to build a bulb limiter and capacitor draining leads, and then I'll pull and test that transformer. Wish me luck!
Old 13th January 2021, 09:35 PM   #444
jwags818 is offline jwags818  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: Wilsonville Oregon, Corvallis Oregon native (You can't lick our beavers!).
I can attest 500+V hurts! Being one of the few that don't seem to learn very fast I have hit myself good 3 times with 500V+. Once thru both hands. Luckily didn't do a thing to me but hurt. I did however blow a hole in my arm once and bled all over the place. From a shock..!!
Bleed resistors save lives.... Use them.

Safety Practices, General and Ultra-High VoltageHide this!Advertise here!