• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Direct-Coupled Amplifier with Cathode Follower by R.H. Bates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just measured an EDCOR GXSE15-8-3.5K at 56 ohms. I doubt the 1629SEA will run much more than 150 ohms DC resistance considering the ratings of both OPTs. I expect it will be less.

The Edcor transformer is only a 15 W 100mA bias transformer. The Hammond is rated at 30W with 100mA bias. Taking the ratio of the impedance divided by the SqRt of 2 ( [6500/3500]/2sqrt) gives a change of turns ration of 1.3:1.

1.3*56=73 Ohms. even twice that would be less than 150 ohms.

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm also concerning about primary resistance. How much it should be for the 1629SEA? And an eventual variation from the specified valued (250ohm) what kind of effects can occurs?

Here this value determines the grid bias for the 6v6 so it is necessary increase or decrease the real 1629SEA value maybe adding in series or in parallel a resistor?

In case do you know where (online) I can find a more adequate amplifier so I can be sure?

These kinds of questions are why you want to build the thing on plywood. The DCR of the output transformer and the plate voltage of the driver stage set your output stage current. You may need to add a series resistor (bypassed with a cap) between ground and the primarily of the OT.

I do also agree that you're going to get a mouse fart's worth of power out of this circuit.

Why not re-design for ultra-linear? Keep the 6V6 plate-cathode (P-K) voltage around 250V. Could use Edcor GXSE10-8-5K too...

Coupling cap can be any reasonable sized (and priced) metalized polypropylene. This way you might get at least a mouse roar, instead of a mouse fart.

Ian

Contact Hammond and ask them, i'm sure they'll be helpful.

I just measured an EDCOR GXSE15-8-3.5K at 56 ohms. I doubt the 1629SEA will run much more than 150 ohms DC resistance considering the ratings of both OPTs. I expect it will be less.

The Edcor transformer is only a 15 W 100mA bias transformer. The Hammond is rated at 30W with 100mA bias. Taking the ratio of the impedance divided by the SqRt of 2 ( [6500/3500]/2sqrt) gives a change of turns ration of 1.3:1.

1.3*56=73 Ohms. even twice that would be less than 150 ohms.

I just sent an email asking the primary resistance value.

Cool project - I love the whole retro look. I made a spud amp ( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/280167-yukon-gold-spud-amp.html#post4460585 ).. [...] .. Hot resistors should have some way to stay cool, possibly bolted to the chassis if you can do that safely. Thermal considerations would suggest solid state rectifier, a personal choice of course.

Thank you for the suggestions. Do you think that with this amp thermal problems can easily occur not using a solid state rectifier?

1W or so is enough :)

Thank you for the suggestions. Do you think that with this amp thermal problems can easily occur not using a solid state rectifier?
The tube rectifier draws a lot of heater current and most tube power transformers run fairly hot if you use them anywhere near their ratings. The tube rectifier it'self will also run fairly hot. A SS rectifier will not have any thermal requirements, it'll run without issue even hidden inside the box.

****The one caution here and others should jump in - for a DC coupled circuit it may be mandatory to use a tube rectifier to get sensible slow turn-on behaviour as the output tube can experience some pretty rough start-up currents otherwise.

Last edited:
I do also agree that you're going to get a mouse fart's worth of power out of this circuit.

Well, that would make enough power for more than a set of headphones, probably a better way to go.

The declared wattage of this amp is around 4.5W. I'm not going to use this as a guitar amp and I was looking to a small but high fidelity amplifier that I can build as second attempt (I have already a 15W modified heathkit A7-5 tube amp that I usually use at half of the capable volume).

Do you have other schematics of vintage 6v6 or 6l6 hi-fi amp that you think it might be better build?

Why not re-design for ultra-linear? Keep the 6V6 plate-cathode (P-K) voltage around 250V. Could use Edcor GXSE10-8-5K too...

Coupling cap can be any reasonable sized (and priced) metalized polypropylene. This way you might get at least a mouse roar, instead of a mouse fart.

Ian

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I do have some experience in building but very little in modifying circuits. Would you be so kind to upload the modified schematic for ultra-linear?

Last edited:
Here attached the original article. I underlined the major aspects of this amp that seem not realistic considering your opinions.

Seems that the only problem is obtain a 200ohm of primary resistance of the output transformer but as some of you stated is easily obtainable adding some resistors in series with bypassed with a capacitor. (advisable values of wattage and capacitances?).

Do you want add any other observation? Is this amp worthwhile to construct (not in term of costs - i.e. I know that the psu can be replaced by SS and the choke can be removed etc. - but in terms of performance)?

Attachments

• A Direct-Coupled Amplifier with Cathode Follower by Raymond H. Bates.pdf
    443.8 KB · Views: 170
The numbers seem a little off to me.

The bias current of the output stage is mostly set by R3 and R5. Ignoring the roughly half milliampere screen current of the 6SJ7, and the OPT primary resistance you will get 62.7mA of current. At 100R primary resistance you will get 58.4mA, and at 250R pri you will get 52.95mA.

This is assuming that the cathode of the 6V6 is at 85V.

R3 and R5 provide negative feedback to the screen of V1 which stabilizes the bias of V2, but also reduces the gain of V1.

It's too bad that Bates wasn't able to provide some basic performance measurements, but this circuit is certainly promising enough to construct on a breadboard at least. Direct coupling is a major advantage of this design. It also presents a low impedance to the output transformer primary, and it includes a short feedback path to the driver tube screen, bypassing the OPT, which should keep it stable regardless of OPT substitution.

Reactions: 1 user
I have just found the Edcor GXSE10-5K as output transformer (5000ohm primary inductance with 250ohm of d.c. primary resistance) which is the closest in comparison to the other output transformer mentioned right? (EDCOR - GXSE10-5K)

As for the choke the Hammond 157L (http://www.mouser.it/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=157Lvirtualkey54600000virtualkey546-157L)

And as power supply the Hammond 373BX (http://www.mouser.it/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=373BXvirtualkey54600000virtualkey546-373BX).

Can you please confirm these components so I can buy them?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.