• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformer coupled cathode follower power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Although I understand the drawback of displacing distortion from the output to the input stage of an amp, I have this urge to try using a cathode follower in a low power amplifier output. The two stages of 6SN7 also make me feel all warm and fuzzy because of how often it appears in classic DHT designs.

There's a little serendipity with the above schematic as it looks to me like I can swing 400V ptp and the Vhk of the 6L6GC is +/-200V. Probably good for a bit under 4W into an 8 ohm speaker (also want to try headphones with and without a resistor to load the primary).

I've got all the parts and tubes aside from the Hammond chokes (outputs are Edcor XSE15). Anyone care to talk me out of this or suggest tweaks?

OK, I learned this thanks for your "ancestors" and teachers; Seely, Wallman, Valley, Terman, and many other electronic pioneers.

Perhaps if you like falsely increased bass response, leaving the resistor unbypassed, will reinforce speaker's resonance in the bass range. Undesirable for me, but I see that someone like this behavior.

PD: Why not to try a pentode cathode follower, with higher gain and lower output impedance?

Last edited:
A circuit like this, but with the output transformer in place of the "resolver stator" (G. Valley, H. Wallman - Vacuum tube amplifiers - 1948, page 350).
I would use the choke for the cathode, and from it, bootstrap the load anode resistor in the 6SN7 stage to improve linearity and gain.

My only idea.

Attachments

• 6V6.GIF
    6V6.GIF
    39.2 KB · Views: 660
I was curious about the practical limits for performance in an SE amp with a transformer so I built a follower amp with a mosfet as a power device and a low-distortion driver. See here for details.

I think the dominant source of distortion in the amp is output transformer nonlinearity, but I have yet to definitively show that. (I blew the output device before I could take comparative distortion measurements on the primary and secondary of the output transformer and haven't repaired it yet, but I am fairly certain there is much less distortion on the primary than what I am getting out.)

Anyway, you should be able to make a very nice SE follower amp if you do it right.

I'm not sure. The cathode follower gives almost the same voltage output as in the input, so no voltage gain. And current gain in a triode and in a pentode of the type we are speaking about, I don't believe that they be too different.

Of course they will be different, and drastically so. A pentode will be able to swing to a much lower Va-k without positive grid drive. In the circuit above, there will be much more swing capability in a pentode to drive the primary and thus more voltage swing on the secondary and more power out.

Edit: It doesn't matter what the voltage gain is if swing is limited by the Vg-k=0 line in one and not the other. Output swing will hit a wall at Vg-k=0. Your comments about current gain don't make sense to me. These aren't BJTs.

Last edited:
I have to look back at my plate curves (on another computer), but I believe the 6L6 was hitting Vg=0 before the 6SN7 driver. Though it wasn't by a large margin with the operating points I chose.

The pentode cathode follower is a cool idea. I am assuming the Vhk shouldn't be violated for the output cathode follower and this limits the maximum swing if it is at a fixed bias though. Does that Vhk apply to AC signal swing or just DC?

Thanks for chiming in SpreadSpectrum. I was hoping you'd see the smoke and come running.

On my Unity-Coupled amp I used a separate small transformer for the heater of each KT88 because I was concerned about heather-cathode insulation stress. I just connected the transformer center tap directly to the cathode.

If you go the route of pentode cathode follower, you have to figure out the screen supply. It could probably be done with an appropriately-sized cap that holds a charge throughout the AC swing. Otherwise, you would have to make a floating screen supply which would be considerably more complicated. The voltage between screen and cathode needs to remain constant, which means that the screen voltage needs to be able to go above B+ for part of the swing.

I sidestepped the whole issue by using a mosfet, which doesn't require a screen supply.

For this amp I won't be able to include more heater supplies. The power supply is a standalone regulated PSU with 6A of 6.3V heater capacity. I have it referenced to 1/6 B+ at this point, but that can be changed easily. Thanks to kevinkr for his help with that on another thread.

I'm kind of building this in reverse:) The power supply was a separate project so that I could learn about series-pass supplies. With the fixed heater bias taken into consideration, I think my limiting factor would be the Vhk of the 6L6GC.

Or maybe I scrap the cathode follower for now and just build a regular single-ended amp. Seems so simple by comparison.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.