Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

VTA M-125 mono block kit.
VTA M-125 mono block kit.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2017, 03:49 AM   #11
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice to see that you are happy with the m125

Got mine up and running this evening and there is some hum (20mV)

5 mV should be attainable , good luck
Old 4th January 2017, 01:50 PM   #12
dahlberg is offline dahlberg  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Replaced the feedback cable with a screened one and got it down to 15mV. What's really strange is that now I can hardly here any hum att all, maybe I have lost my low frequency hearing over night
Old 4th January 2017, 10:32 PM   #13
Bob01605 is offline Bob01605  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Bob01605
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlberg View Post
Replaced the feedback cable with a screened one and got it down to 15mV. What's really strange is that now I can hardly here any hum att all, maybe I have lost my low frequency hearing over night
When you test for hum/noise on the VTA M-125, you should use shorting plugs on the input jacks OR plug in an interconnect to the VTA M-125 and then plug the other end of the interconnect into your preamp. What you hear through the speaker is the residual noise of the amp. If you leave the input jack open, the input jack will pick up some hum/noise from the amp's circuitry.

The most common cause of noise/hum in the M-125 is the FRONT driver tube. Sometimes just reversing the front and rear input tubes can drop any residual hum to an inaudible level.

Another thing .. The VTA M-125 has a 3 wire IEC connector and power cord. If another component in your music system ALSO HAS a 3 wire cord, you could have set up a "ground loop". Try floating the ground with a 3 wire to 2 wire "cheater plug" and see if the hum level drops.

Bob Latino
Old 4th January 2017, 11:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob01605 View Post
When you test for hum/noise on the VTA M-125, you should use shorting plugs on the input jacks OR plug in an interconnect to the VTA M-125 and then plug the other end of the interconnect into your preamp. What you hear through the speaker is the residual noise of the amp. If you leave the input jack open, the input jack will pick up some hum/noise from the amp's circuitry.

The most common cause of noise/hum in the M-125 is the FRONT driver tube. Sometimes just reversing the front and rear input tubes can drop any residual hum to an inaudible level.

Another thing .. The VTA M-125 has a 3 wire IEC connector and power cord. If another component in your music system ALSO HAS a 3 wire cord, you could have set up a "ground loop". Try floating the ground with a 3 wire to 2 wire "cheater plug" and see if the hum level drops.

Bob Latino
I have done all the connections you described, both shorted out and connected to the preamp/dsp. I have also cheated a bit by simply putting some electrical tejp over the ground connector of the wall plug (eu). I also tried to exhange the tube rectifier for a solid state one. Only thing that gave any measurable result was the feedback cable. It went from 22mV to 15, not that much difference but for some reason now it's very close to inaudible. I have to put my ear right up close to the drivers to hear any hum. Actually thought that the change in rectifier gave a bit less noise as well

I'm running JAN 5814A for driver tubes, supposed to be matched pairs but I belive I messed up wish ones was pairs I will try to rotate the tubes some day but it doesn't seem to be any real hurry for that now.

I have done the other channel as well and will be doing some more listening tomorrow That channel had less hum to start with so.... Ok I will rotate the tubes tomorrow :-)
One a clock in the morning, guess I should get some sleep now.

Last edited by dahlberg; 4th January 2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

They turned out like this by the way.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th January 2017, 11:36 PM   #16
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

awesome looking
Old 7th January 2017, 02:24 PM   #17
boatheelmusic is offline boatheelmusic  United States
diyAudio Member

Where are you measuring this hum - I see around 12 mv ac at the B+ point, 2 mv ac or less at the bias test points and 2 mv or less at speaker jacks.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:58 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatheelmusic View Post
Where are you measuring this hum - I see around 12 mv ac at the B+ point, 2 mv ac or less at the bias test points and 2 mv or less at speaker jacks.
I'm measuring at the speaker connections. There is still some hum and I think
that I might have messed up the wiring a bit. It's not identical to the manual
and it's at least somewhere to do some work before stashing up on input tubes.
Better wiring is a win/win anyway so.....
These are mine.

Compared to what's in the manual.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Measured ac voltage at the speaker connections are now @ 6,5mV. I have added a buck transformer to take away 10v (from ~225-238v) and also a dc blocker. That helped a bit.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:46 PM   #20
BinaryMike is offline BinaryMike  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow. You don't often see new amplifiers using the chassis for the ground system these days. 2mV of hum at the output is very respectable for this method of construction. You might try cleaning and re-tightening all of the chassis ground connections if your layout is correct and nothing else helps.

VTA M-125 mono block kit.Hide this!Advertise here!