• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z Lifespan in hours?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What rubbish!
Tommy Flowers from the Post Office Research Station in the 1940 showed that valves were very reliable when run continuously.
The huge valve based computers like the Colossus were based on that principal!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, are you asking because you are thinking of buying some or because you have a problem with them not lasting?

I run eight of the Psvane CV181 TII tubes in my pimped Audio Innovations Second Audios. Ok, not the Shuguang Treasures but they are Chinese. Anyway I listen to them for about 8 hours per day for 5 days a week. They have been in the amps for about 3 months now and today I tested all 8 valves and they gave identical readings to the day they were installed. That's not many hours in the great scheme of things but it's all I can say so far.

So, come back and ask me the same question in a year or two . . . . . .

Oh, and they sound great.
so its 2 years from the time the question was raised so can you tell us how are the tubes working in your amp / preamp?

So, are you asking because you are thinking of buying some or because you have a problem with them not lasting?

I run eight of the Psvane CV181 TII tubes in my pimped Audio Innovations Second Audios. Ok, not the Shuguang Treasures but they are Chinese. Anyway I listen to them for about 8 hours per day for 5 days a week. They have been in the amps for about 3 months now and today I tested all 8 valves and they gave identical readings to the day they were installed. That's not many hours in the great scheme of things but it's all I can say so far.

So, come back and ask me the same question in a year or two . . . . . .

Oh, and they sound great.

So its been over 3 years so may I know what is the update on the tubes. How are they functioning now. How many hours you might have run it.

Reliable was a machine using up to 2,400 valves which had to keep working.
This was achieved by not switching them off.

The problem of Chinese valves in Chinese amps
with poor quality control and voltages all over the place is separate.

The problem with this statement about the Colossus is that is isnt tempered at all - no reference to how often a valve had to be switched out.

A quick tour of Bletchley Park will qualify that statement....

I.e. valves failed regularly, not due to unreliability per se, but due to sheer numbers.

I MTBF was 1000hrs in just 1% of tubes, then maintenance was an almost continuous exercise

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.