• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question for Jeremy Epstein.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Providing the tap is filtered well enough to use for a driver stage, I have not changed my mind. It does require smoother B+ than is usually used at the final tube but this has its own advantages.

I am not alone in this observation. The only folks I know who have gone "past" this are using completely seperate driver supplies which they say they prefer, but that is more complex of course.

If you are considering "mono blocks" and building two supplies IMHO you'd be better off using a stereo supply for the final tube and a stereo supply for the driver tube - 1 supply per stage, then -than using them 1 per channel. Bonus: you can design the supplies for the exact B+ and level of smoothing you desire which is different by stage, not by channel.

But if you use a single supply for the whole amp I'd say try it my way.

I listen to a lot of mono music and I am very keen on getting a stable center image. This seems to improve the imaging in stereo too, as a bonus.

-j

Bas Horneman

Thanks for taking time out to answer that Jeremy.
I was planning to do a seperate supply for the driver and output...with a shared CLC i was gonna
go LC for the driver and LC for the output after the initial CLC.
But after reading your paper on the darling fest, i started getting doubts. You know sometimes what seems like the best thing to do theoretical might not be the best thing in practice.

Regards,
Bas

Depending on the parts you are using, it might be easy to compare the LCLCLC filter to the LC/split into two parallel LC's filter and see what you think - I'd like to know myself what you hear, if you are up for making the experiment. Obviously the chokes would have to have capacity for the total DC current in the series setup, this would require you to choose the chokes differently from the other way and probably be more expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.