• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Super Triode Connected (STC) chip amp

Hi all

based on the info from TubeCAD, I built a super triode connected chip amp. The "turbocharger" is a OPA541 power amp. Originally I wanted to connect a 6922 as a super triode, but later changed to a 6SN7. The major reason for the change is the low gain-bandwidth product of OPA541. With a high mu (33) of 6922, the bandwidth will be very limited. 6SN7 having a mu of 20 will give a more reasonable bandwidth. Of course the main attraction of this concept is to have the sound signature of 6SN7 while having a decent output power to drive the loudspeaker.

I basically follow the concept in TubeCAD with some adaptation. The 6SN7 is biased at 8mA, using a TL431-npn transistor CCS. The OPA541 works from a +/-20V, giving at least 30W output power.

Just completed building today, the circuit works! Definitely it sounds like a tube amp with quite a amazing bass (compared to my current Nelson Pass- JLH MOSFET amp). Still need to spend more time in listening but would like to say that the concept is a practical one using chip amp.

Attachments

• STC_GC_6SN7.jpeg
    STC_GC_6SN7.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,878
Yes, I use 1 6SN7 for 2 channels. For detailed theory about this STC concept, you can get from TubeCAD and also a number of Japanese DIYers.

For the bias setting, I am in the impression that at 8mA I will be able to get better linearity?

Attachments

• 6SN7_bias.png
    6SN7_bias.png
    689.2 KB · Views: 1,667
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
@FYC: where do you source your OPA541? I tried this but i stubbornly used LM1875. Unsurprisingly, i end up with an oscillator.
I found OPA541 in Ebay but i don't fully trust them when it comes to semiconductors. Actually i wouldn't mind running fake chips with lowered voltage rails to be gentle to them but i'm not sure if they're unity-gain stable.

Ketje said:
And if you are after linearity, why use tubes ?
A good question. I can think of some good reasons to make a tube amplifier; I can't think of any good reason to use a triode as the feedback element for a chip amp when resistors are hugely more linear than any triode.

As you say, using the anode as an input may create issues for some people!

My thoughts are:

When selecting an operating point, I would try to select the one with better linearity within the operating limits like power dissipation etc.

Using the triode in the feedback loop is to impose the triode sound over the chip amp, this is the main theme behind this concept. The chip amp in theory only provide the horsepower but the driving "characteristic" comes from the triode.

I cannot explain more as I am no expert. TubeCAD provides a detailed description in several occasions.

Well this is kind of a fairy tale for audiophiles:

You get the sound of a SET, but you get much more output power (say 25W iso 2.5W), and you pay only $150 for all the components.

Too good to be true? That drives me to experiment with it.

Unfortunately nobody yet achieved absence of distortions adding more distortions, despite of al that snake-oil-perpetuum-mobile-tales. ;-)