• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Counterpoint SA 3000 Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi aherb,
Close will work fine. A little lower on the HV supply would be helpful. If you go up with that, your regulator might be pushed over the line and cook.

Yes, post #7 spells everything out except for currents.

So, what did you buy?

-Chris

PT# for toroidal transformer on sa-3000

I need the part number of the toroidal power transformer from plitron. I’d the upgrade noise tested and electrostatic screen if that makes a difference. I talked to plitron directly but he told me he’d need the part number before moving forward. I don’t have the power supply so if anyone knows what that part number is for the sa-3000 it is greatly appreciated

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Noice,
Did you actually lose a power transformer in your preamp?

I'm going to suggest strongly that you remain with an E-I transformer as it is a bandwidth limited device (which is very good in this case). It also has a lower inrush current.

I was the authorized warranty shop for Canada until just before they went out of business. I had never seen a burned out transformer on this model. In the years since they went out of business I have worked to redesign the problem areas with Counterpoint equipment. I have redesigns for most of the preamplifiers and the SA-3000 is the next up to have a power supply redesign. I can say that you are really much further ahead with a good E-I transformer. I'm not trying to sell you anything, and given that you're in the 'States, I am not trying to have you bring it in for service either. All I'm trying to do is keep you from making a mistake. Also, the toroid will require a larger box than the one currently installed if it is sized properly.

For what it's worth, most "upgrades" that Altavista, Elliot and others made were not well engineered. A toroid transformer is certainly not an upgrade compared to a good E-I transformer. What is an upgrade would be a new E-I transformer of higher quality. The core might be slightly larger, and you would have to be careful that the dimensions don't make it too large for the external box.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.