Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Counterpoint SA 3000 Transformer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2017, 12:43 PM   #21
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi aherb,
Close will work fine. A little lower on the HV supply would be helpful. If you go up with that, your regulator might be pushed over the line and cook.

Yes, post #7 spells everything out except for currents.

So, what did you buy?

-Chris
Old 8th October 2019, 08:56 PM   #22
Noice is offline Noice
diyAudio Member

Default PT# for toroidal transformer on sa-3000

I need the part number of the toroidal power transformer from plitron. Id the upgrade noise tested and electrostatic screen if that makes a difference. I talked to plitron directly but he told me hed need the part number before moving forward. I dont have the power supply so if anyone knows what that part number is for the sa-3000 it is greatly appreciated
Old 9th October 2019, 02:30 PM   #23
Steve Morley is offline Steve Morley  Canada
diyAudio Member

Part number of the original Counterpoint trannie? See picture in post #17.

S.
Old 9th October 2019, 02:49 PM   #24
Steve Morley is offline Steve Morley  Canada
diyAudio Member

Have you seen this:
Obtaining transformers for counterpoint gear

Don't know if it's still current with Pliton info. Scroll down the page to SA3000.

S.
Old 9th October 2019, 04:01 PM   #25
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Noice,
Did you actually lose a power transformer in your preamp?

I'm going to suggest strongly that you remain with an E-I transformer as it is a bandwidth limited device (which is very good in this case). It also has a lower inrush current.

I was the authorized warranty shop for Canada until just before they went out of business. I had never seen a burned out transformer on this model. In the years since they went out of business I have worked to redesign the problem areas with Counterpoint equipment. I have redesigns for most of the preamplifiers and the SA-3000 is the next up to have a power supply redesign. I can say that you are really much further ahead with a good E-I transformer. I'm not trying to sell you anything, and given that you're in the 'States, I am not trying to have you bring it in for service either. All I'm trying to do is keep you from making a mistake. Also, the toroid will require a larger box than the one currently installed if it is sized properly.

For what it's worth, most "upgrades" that Altavista, Elliot and others made were not well engineered. A toroid transformer is certainly not an upgrade compared to a good E-I transformer. What is an upgrade would be a new E-I transformer of higher quality. The core might be slightly larger, and you would have to be careful that the dimensions don't make it too large for the external box.

-Chris

Counterpoint SA 3000 TransformerHide this!Advertise here!