Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

12AU7 internally matched triodes
12AU7 internally matched triodes Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2016, 10:42 AM   #1
passive420 is offline passive420  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 12AU7 internally matched triodes

Doing research in preparation to build the Hybrid TubSumo amplifier by Valery here on the solid state forum. Thought this is obviously the best place to ask about tubes.

The front end IPS board has a 12AU7 and Valery recommends each tube having the triodes internally matched.

My question is: Are the triodes generally matched to a degree as standard or will I have to search / ask for them to be matched. I can obviously find matched pairs but is it possible to find pairs that are also internally matched?
Old 16th February 2016, 10:56 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Some companies charge a premium for a 'matching service'. Personally ECC81 - 3 have a slightly higher performance on the second triode, pins 6 - 8 by design, so any valve that is matched is not to specification. It makes no difference anyway unless you are trying to squeeze an extra little bit out of them so use a better circuit or an ECC83 for more gain or a large plate ECC82 for more current.
Old 16th February 2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

12AU7s are generally pretty well matched. In any case it would probably be cheaper simply to buy a few, plug them in, measure voltages, and select the one with the best balance, than to buy a vendor matched one. 12AU7 is one of the cheapest tubes you can get.
Old 16th February 2016, 12:12 PM   #4
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
I have tried some new tungsol tubes. they seemed fine but after a couple months one developed a hum.
I have purchased from this vendor with good results.
spin4cards on eBay
The NOS tubes for me have been great.
Evan

PS. boards on their way today. Yesterday was a holiday.
Old 16th February 2016, 01:02 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic
Personally ECC81 - 3 have a slightly higher performance on the second triode, pins 6 - 8 by design, so any valve that is matched is not to specification.
Where in the datasheet does it say that? The only difference is that one triode might have slightly better hum performance.

RFT valves have a reputation for good 'twin balance'. Many RFT valves carry other branding, including 'Mazda foreign' (often with blue printing).
Old 16th February 2016, 01:25 PM   #6
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Brimar specifically states both are the same, and equivalent to 6C4.

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/184/1/12AU7.pdf
Old 16th February 2016, 02:30 PM   #7
passive420 is offline passive420  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sweet Jesus now I'm getting into tubes, I wondered if this day would come... Ill never get my life back. A pair of Mullard Cryo CV491's eh?

Thank you gentlemen, I certainly know more than I did.

I read on Audiotubes.com that the ECC802 version has matched triodes.

Tubeampdoctor offers them in matched and balanced pairs:

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product...noFUCzy5Q3Vn42

Last edited by passive420; 16th February 2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 16th February 2016, 03:15 PM   #8
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

The Philips datasheet shows the triode connected to pins 6,7,8 to have a more favorable hum level, but that's it, and it's only on the ECC8x tubes. I've not seen any such mention for the 12AX? tubes in datasheets from RCA, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, etc.

Other options would be the 6189 as a premium version of the 12AU7 and the 5814a which is slightly better still but with a slightly higher filament current. I use the 5814a in some of my designs and have been very happy with the results.

Regards, KM
Old 16th February 2016, 04:04 PM   #9
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by passive420 View Post
Doing research in preparation to build the Hybrid TubSumo amplifier by Valery here on the solid state forum. Thought this is obviously the best place to ask about tubes.

The front end IPS board has a 12AU7 and Valery recommends each tube having the triodes internally matched.

My question is: Are the triodes generally matched to a degree as standard or will I have to search / ask for them to be matched. I can obviously find matched pairs but is it possible to find pairs that are also internally matched?
It depends to a large extent what you want to be alike and what the margins are.
Is it :
- current at a specific working point
- Gm at the same
- hum
And finally, the definition of matched: how close = 1% 10% 20 % or some other value.

Good amps ( as build by the folks that know what they did) was designed so
any tube that was within the quite margins of the day would work. It's one
reason that NFB was/is so successful and universally used.

Your best bet would be to buy a few ones and measure and try them.
Old 16th February 2016, 04:09 PM   #10
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
I'm in general had better luck with NOS tubes then new ones. This circuit sounds the same to me no matter what tubes I put in, except for a couple oddballs that either cause a high DC offset or hum.

12AU7 internally matched triodesHide this!Advertise here!