• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AQ5/6005 12AX7 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the new mini amp for a small speaker. Feedback is welcome, learn for each others!
Schematic is welcome to share too~

20160103_165443.jpg

20160103_165504.jpg

20160103_165110.jpg

20160103_165104.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest you re-evaluate your grounding scheme. It looks like the input RCA jacks are grounded to the chassis rather than the ground buss; they should be isolated from the chassis. I also don't see a connection from the ground buss to the chassis ground. It appears that only the power transformer is connected to the chassis ground.

I would suggest you re-evaluate your grounding scheme. It looks like the input RCA jacks are grounded to the chassis rather than the ground buss; they should be isolated from the chassis. I also don't see a connection from the ground buss to the chassis ground. It appears that only the power transformer is connected to the chassis ground.

I recall my memory that the chassis do isolated from the signal ground. If so what is the highest possibility that might cause such issue?

Thanks

Also keep in mind the PSRR of a typical SE stage is 6db... virtually any PS ripple will appear at the output. I've built many amps using the chassis as ground without hum, but I use aluminum and DC heaters.

I do leave a feedback resistor for future hum solution, do i really need to add feedback resistor to suppress the hum? (Not really wanna add FB resistor to tube AMP).

Thanks

You can ground the centre tap and see if that helps. Most people do it like that, I use DC. Also sometimes the hum can be induced from the transformer being too close to the circuitry/tubes. I've switched to SMPS power for most of my designs, but on those where there is an EI core transformer I usually build a separate unit, and use a cable to connect them of about 1 meter. It could be the tubes, but it probably isn't. Some tubes have bad hum from AC heaters no matter what. Others are dead quiet. Some heaters are spiral wound, that helps mitigate the problem.

You can ground the centre tap and see if that helps. Most people do it like that, I use DC. Also sometimes the hum can be induced from the transformer being too close to the circuitry/tubes. I've switched to SMPS power for most of my designs, but on those where there is an EI core transformer I usually build a separate unit, and use a cable to connect them of about 1 meter. It could be the tubes, but it probably isn't. Some tubes have bad hum from AC heaters no matter what. Others are dead quiet. Some heaters are spiral wound, that helps mitigate the problem.

Really thanks for the details sharing. =]

I would like to generalize some of the information after some measurement.
(1) - After power up the Amp. the hum exist, by probing some of power rail indeed it is a 50-55Hz hum.
(2) - I try to measure different voltage points i.e. B+ B+' output of the pre-amp etc. voltage off the expected schematic. (Voltage get lower than expected)
(3) - Try to adjust the volume, the hum do have relationship after the volume is turned into half or above.
(4) - Without inserting other tubes just the rectifier tubes, the B+ do have 300V

Base on these info. not sure where i start my modification.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.