• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A 6Y6 Push Pull amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Thanks to Jazbo, that provided a good model of the 6Y6 power tetrode, I'm working on a circuit for this tube (I have a bunch of these, and want to put 'em to good use).
Nevertheless, while I found 3K PP is the best load for a clean 13W / 8 Ohm out, a 5K load gives a better THD figure at 1W.
On the contrary, at the onset of clipping (10.5V rms over 8 ohm load), the 3K load is way better (0.56% THD against 1.8%THD). I confess I can't understand if this is a simulation error, or is normal tube behaviour for the chosen operating points...?
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Nueva imagen.gif
    Nueva imagen.gif
    223.4 KB · Views: 754
  • 6Y6 Push Pull_fixed bias 2_2.asc
    7.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Ok then, 300V on the plate, 200V at G2, and 5K plate to plate at 65% of maximun diss, give a wooping clean 20watt out, but it remain to be seen if the real tube can handle this...

I've read of multiple guys running 6y6's up around 300V plate. Came across that when I was doing some research on the 6x6 family of tubes. I know the y's are only rated at 200 or so but its doable, especially if you're under P,diss. I've not actually done this myself so take it with a grain of salt. Just make sure your screen dissipation is below what it's rated at and you should be alright, I've heard that's where they'll typically give up the ghost.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
At 10KCT load, you may as well set plate-cathode up near 20V, but keep G2 down to 100V-125V. Expect G1 bias near -14V. So 220V of B+ with 150r to 125r common cathode bias, and a pair of 4700r 5W resistors, bypassed, to set G2 voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.