• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

4P10C or 4Π10C tube, any member familiar with?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some traced curves for a Raytheon VT-127
10 mA/div Vert. and 50 V/div Horiz.

a) Pentode 160V on grid 2, 0.8 V steps on grid 1

b) Triode 2 V steps on grid 1

Mu around 12

This Raytheon VT-127 looks just like a 1625 (807) tube except for the MO base and finer grid 1 wire pitch.

Attachments

• rsz_vt-127_p_ray.jpg
    rsz_vt-127_p_ray.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 262
  • rsz_vt-127_t_ray.jpg
    rsz_vt-127_t_ray.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
This Raytheon VT-127 looks just like a 1625 (807) tube except for the MO base and finer grid 1 wire pitch.

Grid 2 too; I got red G2 when the amp oscillated without load. And definitely 200V is the maximum that I would supply for G2 of this tube. It is more like vertical video amplifier tube than horizontal sweep one. Like a predecessor for 6P15P, 12HL7, etc.

Wavebourn,

Was that oscillation on an amplifier that employed negative resistance?

Yes, but not because of it. I just swapped by mistake leads from output transformers to negative feedbacks by voltage of wrong channels, and got a multi-vibrator instead of a stereo amp. :D

I worked at a place that used negative resistance on 4 MHz crystal resolution filters for spectrum analyzers (resolution bandwidth filters).
Those were hard to tame.

Tunnel diodes? :D

It depends on the value of negative resistance in respect to the impedance of the load. If enough, it flattens frequency response of the speaker servo-damping it; it too much, it oscillates.

I experimented today connecting 8 Ohm speakers to 16 Ohm outputs of a headphone amp through auto-transformer volume control, in last 2 positions speakers start oscillating. :D

Wavebourn - Headphone amp drivibg 8 Ohm speakers | Facebook

The quartz crystals used as series resonators have an intrinsic series resistance.
To narrow the bandwidth, the terminating resistance must be decreased.
That increases the insertion loss of the filter; increases the noise floor of the analyzer because of the required amplification after the filter to make up for the loss.
Negative resistance drove the crystal, and made up for that loss.

Because of the large range of bandwidth settings (and termination resistances), there were some tapped transformers used to make it all work.
. . . Interesting, you used an auto-former on negative resistance amp.

Last edited:
Because of the large range of bandwidth settings (and termination resistances), there were some tapped transformers used to make it all work.
. . . Interesting, you used an auto-former on your amp.

Well; I used auto-former before in a parafeed 2 stage hybrid amp with 150V B+, with one tube stage directly driving P-type MOSFET. I postponed that project. It is very promising, but I did not figure out yet how to stabilize better it's working point.

4P10S in triode mode?

Friends

I have several 4P10S tubes and they look like KT66 for me.
I tested it in triode mode years ago and the sound is very good.
I will test them again to see what power it can provide. Particularly I believe that it provides about 2W.

Aldovan

Friends

I have several 4P10S tubes and they look like KT66 for me.
n

Yes. 4P10S, VT127/CV1127, KT66 were customized successful Mazda Pen-46 design. KT66 was simplified for audio, the rest were improved for military usage in classified radars. I sold one prototype to a fellow audiophile in Australia, he loves the tubes.

Wavebourne Edelweiss-3 Prototype Power Amp review

I have the VT127, but strangely it was produced by American Raytheon with the mazda's famous octal socket.
I find it strange because the quality of Mazda valves is far superior to Raytheon.
I recently sold a pair of output transformers from my production to an audiophile in Australia who is very fond of different valves, like me. Perhaps we are talking about the same person.

Steel-Lab HIFI audio transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.