• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Coupling capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the coupling capacitor acts as a High pass filter when combined with the following load.
The load is 1Meg in parallel to the grid input impedance.

I don't know how to calculate that input impedance.

If I assume it is 0.5M , then the total load after the coupling capacitor is:
500k*1000k/(500k+1000k) = 333k

The turn over frequency of this single pole filter is given by
F-3dB = 1 / (2 PiRC) = 1/(2*3.14*333k*220*10^-9) = 1/0.46 = 2.2Hz
The response will be down by ~1dB @ 4.4Hz

You need an estimate of the input impedance to allow you to check the F-3dB.

the coupling capacitor acts as a High pass filter when combined with the following load.
The load is 1Meg in parallel to the grid input impedance.

I don't know how to calculate that input impedance.

If I assume it is 0.5M , then the total load after the coupling capacitor is:
500k*1000k/(500k+1000k) = 333k

The turn over frequency of this single pole filter is given by
F-3dB = 1 / (2 PiRC) = 1/(2*3.14*333k*220*10^-9) = 1/0.46 = 2.2Hz
The response will be down by ~1dB @ 4.4Hz

You need an estimate of the input impedance to allow you to check the F-3dB.

OK, Andrew.
What about C6 and C7 ?

R2 is incorrect. It should be much larger, say 100k to 1Meg.

This is true, I am assuming 1 meg.

What about C6 and C7 ?

Those two capacitors are looking into a high impedance, about 1 meg ohm. If you put a 10 uF capacitor there it would take nearly a minute for the cap to fully charge, probably longer due to the changing characteristics of the tubes as they warm up.

C2 feeds into an unknown impedance since it goes to the outside world. 10 uF would be needed if the load was rather low. I would reduce it if the load is known too be a high impedance, say a 100K volume pot.

Large value coupling caps are not needed or wanted if they allow the low frequency response to extend below the audio range. Low frequency instability can occur if the power supply isn't properly decoupled at the frequency extremes. Warped (or worse not concentric) records will cause fits with your power amp trying to eat a roughly 1/2 Hz signal.

I seem to recall other people finding that the site software can confuse people with what it considers to be similar IDs. stan_33 and sb****33 both start with 's' and finish with '33', so easy for a dumb computer to think they are the same person!
Yes, it doesn't understand certain symbols and reverts to whatever is closest.
is "****" appearing because he typed ****, or because the Forum recognises that as a banned word and has overwritten his entry?
I suspect the former.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.