• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Does O-netics make SE OPTs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am looking to source some SE opt for my 813 tube project. And finding them is challenging. I did not find a "products" page for O-netics so I am asking if someone knows if they have a website.
For my project, I am thinking that I will need about 50watts and 5 to 7k primary impedance and 4 and 8 secondaries. I have done some research and electra print looks good and Lundahl . But I would like more choices and they are about the only 2 USA manufacturers that I found. I only want to buy or source from the US. Thank you for your suggestions.

You would need to email or call Bud as he doesnt have a catalog of what he makes... i may be wrong about that.... mostly he makes custom opts for hifi applications but i believe his main products are for pro audio stuff... its worth a look as he makes world class opts...

I inadvertently stumbled across this thread. Rarely get notices.

That web site that JayReed points to is not active. I will have to go and see which build it is. It's not a misleadng site, I just decided I did not want the extra work a web site would bring. Instead, you might PM TURBO about our SE OPT's as he has an in with our dealer.

With reference to the 813 tube. I only guarantee long life and high performance audio transformers to a maximum voltage of 800 VDC applied to the primary. I do know how to build to 2500 VDC operational internal withstand, but the form factor you must use and the materials required to deal with the corona created by that voltage, become rather extreme. All of the things you do not want in physical layout of the windings are forced by high coil voltages and for anything above about 1200 volts of potential you want 100% immersion in evacuated oil.

Hi, I am looking to source some SE opt for my 813 tube project. And finding them is challHome - Transcendar Audio Transformersenging. I did not find a "products" page for O-netics so I am asking if someone knows if they have a website.
For my project, I am thinking that I will need about 50watts and 5 to 7k primary impedance and 4 and 8 secondaries. I have done some research and electra print looks good and Lundahl . But I would like more choices and they are about the only 2 USA manufacturers that I found. I only want to buy or source from the US. Thank you for your suggestions.

I have also been exploring resources of late. You have the contacts for Onetics already. So, these are some other small USA shops in this same tier of pricing with people you can talk to and who clearly care about this enterprise. I guess, strictly speaking, Lundahl is not USA made, but they have a USA distributor who is very helpful.

Lundahl

Electra-Print

MagneQuest

Transcendar

Cheers,

Last edited:
I too have been on the hunt for OPT's. When contemplating a spread of expense from under $20USD to over $1000USD for an OPT, this review puts things into perspective.

There are clearly OPT's that are inadequate to the project of an "audiophile" valve amp, and an OPT is just a part of which there is a sum. Like all things audio, after a level of competence that certainly eclipses most consumer audio, it appears to be about preference. Best of luck and a cautionary tale.

Pieter of Tribute Audio Transformers did not retire (wishful thinking for some??)
He just calmed down his activity; read his website well (seems to be difficult for many).
Standard products like inductive volume controls, input transformers and MC step-up transformers remain available, and new products are in the pipeline.
Orders for "big" complete transformer sets from new customers are not accepted; old customers however will be helped.
A limited range of interstage and output transformers might become available in the near future.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.