• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First Tube Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As my first tube project, and since I needed a desktop computer amplifier, I built these mono block amplifiers.

It is a simple 6SN7 common cathode input with a dc coupled cathode follower, with an EL84 power tube stage in SE UL (60% tap) output stage.

The OPT is a double c core 5000:8 Ohm design.

The PSU is an smps off-board box, with B+ at 262V @ 140mA dc and filaments 6.3V @ 5A.

Power out is a nominal 2.2W per channel. LTSpice simulation shows approximately 6% H2 at this output level. This matches measurements reasonably well.

I am enjoying listening to this configuration which probably "presents" the EL84 "sound" reasonably well.

Attachments

• DSC00845_edited-1.JPG
    DSC00845_edited-1.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC00841_edited-2.jpg
    DSC00841_edited-2.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC00850_edited-1.JPG
    DSC00850_edited-1.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 530
  • Distortion.jpg
    Distortion.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 507
Can you explain more about the SMPS?
Prebuilt product or DIY?

A bit of both... I used evaluation boards from TI for the 6.3V and LT for the B+

Both modified for the correct voltage, and the LT 3751 controller was changed to a regulated (as opposed to a capacitor charger) supply.

Both are fed from an unregulated 33V dc supply.

TI:- TPS5450EVM - a nice little board costs 10USD gives 6.3 5A and can take an input as low as 8V;
LT:- LT3751 dc/dc flyback converter modified to regulate at 262V a compact board that can be modified relatively easily for slightly higher voltages and currents cost 110USD

Attachments

• DSC00851.JPG
    DSC00851.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 467
Dear ufudu, where you got the SMPS?

Digikey.com

The LT3751 board is Demo Circuit 1322. It comes as a capacitor charger and you will need to change the feedback components to suitable values and possible other components such as the mosfet current limit resistor (R16 in the user guide) if you want higher output current. I think the supplied flyback transformer is good to about 8A in the primary but it might be best to check with Linear. Also change the supplied output capacitor C5 as it gets hot under regulator mode (you only need about 10uF at this point, and a few 100uF at the OPT tube stage)

The filament supply is TPS5450EVM, you only need to change the feedback components

you are using klipsch i see :)
what model, and are they really that sensitive? good for se?
Sound quality?
Would a klipsch floostanders fill the room with 8w se? What do you think :)

Klipsch R14M. I think it sounds great with the SE but I am not an expert!! :) Claim is 90dB but I have not measured them!

I am not familiar with the floor standers sorry :( but 8W is a fair bunch in a decent room :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.