• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Micro-power, micro cost amp with Rod-Tubes, 1P24B-V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Definitely time for me to build a silly little amp based on weird tubes....

What can be weirder than those Russian Rod-Tubes that have no proper grids as such, but bunches of rods surrounding a directly-heated filament, arranged in various bundles....
Currently, these odd tubes are pretty cheap, usually offered in batches of ten or more on ebay.....

There's about five or six main variations of these type tubes, obviously intended for battery operation and apparently used extensively in Russian military comms gear.

The 1P24B-V is the largest of them intended as low-power RF final or LF amp, having a 2W plate dissipation, although some sheets reckon its a 4W plate....

On the jogis-roehrenbude site, someone did a nice very compact build with these strange tubes as described here-

Google Translate

I plan on basing my design on his work, but due to my available transformers, shall make it parallel push-pull, doubling up on the output bottles...

In the original article (German) he got around 5W from a pair into 8K p-p transformer.
Closest I currently have a pair of is 5.5K 15W p-p transformers rescued from a pair of 'Fuji' mono AM/FM/SW tuner-amps, so we see what sort of mess I can make out of this!

Anyone else experimented with these weirdos...?;)

Been thinking about this amp, Here is the original German guy's design--

--I'll probably use a more conventional front end and phase-inverter, as the original design uses a rather odd way to implement the use of the pre-amp type rod-tubes....

Attachments

• 1p24b-b p-p.gif
    1p24b-b p-p.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 420
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.