• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

You guys and gals recognize any of this equipment?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, in the first picture, on the top shelf to the very left you can see part of what is almost certainly an HP 200 series oscillator. They come in various versions, but all of them are eminently useful for DIY, plus they're amazingly well built, remarkable pieces of engineering and craftsmanship that you very rarely see rivaled today. Fully tubed of course...

I see lots of Hewlett Packard and Kepco power supplies. The top picture has a couple nice big Kepco tube type supplies and some smaller HP (411A) tube supplies on the bottom shelf. There's also some solid state HP supplies on the center shelf. I have several of the large Kepcos. They just never die.

The lower has more HP tube supplies on the bottom. A couple more HP SS supplies and a couple of Kepco supplies. (BHK and HB series) One of the Kepco's could have 6550 tubes in it. The BHK will have 8068s high voltage pentodes. Most all of these supplies are useful to some degree and worth keeping and using or selling.

Actually the upper picture has only one big tube Kepco supply. And that one might be a Hipotronics high voltage unit instead. They look very similar from afar. The other one is an HP 712B tube supply. And the green piece is an Altec mixer of some kind. There's also two early HP bipolar supplies (2 meters close together) that you should probably stay away from. They're low voltage anyway and very tough to service. This is after copying the picture and enlarging it. And yes, keen eyes Andreas caught the HP oscillator I missed.

The lower pix now shows me a Fluke stepped high voltage supply and what I think is an old LeCroy digital oscilloscope. Stay away from that too! :(

Upper right hand corner appears to be an HP6131 "Digital Voltage Source" -- (could also be a HP6130). Finding a programmer for these could be a challenge -- I bought bunch of these from Grumman on Long Island for a buck. Nice innards for an amplifier.

Two of the power supplies use Variac's to control the transformer input voltage for the HV -- you don't see these very often.

Old power supplies are expensive to ship, but if you can "local pickup" you should be pretty pleased.

The Haul

Just got back and I think I did pretty well. The Kepco stuff was a little beat up and just plain too big for what I need, so I avoided it. The Altec mixer was gone (the seller said only one person had been out before and he only bought one thing, so I think that was it). Here's my haul:

Test stuff:
2 x HP 711A power supplies in good condition (he had several to choose from)
1 x HP 200AB Oscillator
1 x VERY hefty variac

Iron:
1 x massive UTC 5 Hy @ 350mA choke (CG-105)
1 x smaller Triad choke (4 Hy @ 250 mA)
1 x huge filament transformer (6.3V, 200 VA)

Misc:
1 x nice metal tube caddy
2 x NOS (I think) GE 35uF 500VAC cap caps, very large

Tubes (all appear to be NOS, in boxes):
2 x RCA 1619
2 x JAN 1619 (Army/Navy boxes)
2 x RCA 6AS7GA
1 x RCA 6080
2 X Tung Sol 6528
2 x RCA 5Y3GT
1 X GE 6Y6
8 X RCA 6MB8
2 X RCA 6AL5
1 X Raytheon 6AL5
1 X Allied 6AU6A
1 X Channel Master 12BH7A
2 X RCA 12SN7GT
1 X Sylvania 6AX4GTB
8 X Western Electric 407A
2 X GE 6L6GB
6 X 6C45NE
4 X Beautiful double triodes in the same box as 6C45NE but unmarked

He has a TON of stuff left over. Lots of iron that I couldn't identify, more test equipment. A LOT more tubes (mostly odd heater stuff I didn't recognize), several 811's, a pair of the biggest tubes I've ever seen (don't know what they were). Odds and ends. I just took the things I recognized or was vaguely familiar with. Left the rest for anyone else in the WI/IL area that might be interested (paging Dr SY).

I'd tell you what I paid, but believe me, you don't really want to know.

Pretty good haul. I would have thought you'd have bought the bigger HP 712B supply. If you ever decide to design or work with 75 watt amps, that unit would do nicely because it has negative 0-150 volt bias and heavy 6.3 volt outputs. It's worth two of the 711As or more. And you can find the manuals here if you didn't get them with the equipment.

I didn't exactly know what I was looking at or for. If it's the power supply I'm thinking of, it was HUGE and there was a crack in the shroud. Could have worked just peachy, but I chose a couple of the power supplies in the best visual shape. Let the next lucky DIYer grab it :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.