• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cathode follower PA Driver in a cathode biased amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested in adding cathode follower drivers on one of my existing guitar amps, mostly to see the effects on blocking, crossover, and bias excursion.

The donor amp has a hole for another tube and I have plenty of filament amps so I want to go with a triode instead of a mosfet source follower in this case.

The amp is push-pull, cathode biased and I haven't found any examples of a driver circuit used in one.

My question is, how do I correctly bias the CF to directly couple to the PA grids? What extra circuitry do I need to add?

I would probably use 6SN7, 12AX,T,U7 since I have those on hand.

What DF96 said. Below is one scheme I've used that works well. Don't know what O/P tubes you're running so the values may have to be adjusted accordingly. Use a 6.3V filament transformer in reverse to get the negative source.

Attachments

• W-6Mschem4-12AU7.jpg
    W-6Mschem4-12AU7.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 107
What DF96 said. Below is one scheme I've used that works well. Don't know what O/P tubes you're running so the values may have to be adjusted accordingly. Use a 6.3V filament transformer in reverse to get the negative source.

My compliments to whomever authored that schematic. It may be a bit pedantic, but I still love crossing lines that have blank guards to imply “going over” on either side. And resistors that aren't pointless little rectangles, which has become “moderne”.

GoatGuy

I used that Heathkit CF configuration above to design a 12AU7 CF for an EL34 amp. It works well in LTSpice but I have not breadboarded yet.

Use the variable fixed bias circuit of your choice to feed the R13, R16 junction.

Attachments

• CF driver amp.jpg
    CF driver amp.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.