• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to use Russian tube 6H6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 6H6 is a double diode tube - designed for use as an audio demodulator and AVC control in old AM tube radios, and I cannot see where you would use it in a SE amp. They could be used in a clipping or volume compression circuit but not in an amp with any pretentions to fidelity I'd have thought...:)

I came up with a novel use for the short metal 6H6 a while back. Install octal sockets, not wired, in the corners of the bottom plate of your amp and use 6H6`s as feet. You could also use `em as control knobs. Run the filaments and they could be comfortable heated control knobs. :D

actually a 6H6 (or a miniature glass 6AL5) could be used to create a time delay pulling a B+ activation relay (or an SCR) once the thermionic diode reaches a conductive state.

Cyrillic 6H6 looks: 6X6
I did not see short metal versions, I saw 6X6S in glass envelopes. When I was a kid I used them in New Year tree lights (in series with relay, filament powered from 220W through 1 uF foil in oil capacitor). Switching on relay disconnected filament so few seconds later the cycle starts again.
However it could be used in delay relays for B+, but I always did not understand why it is needed, except in kilowatt transmitters...

Cyrillic 6N6 looks exactly: 6H6.
But since it is in 9 pin glass envelope, it has P at the end (Pi), sop it is 6N6Pi.

Good double triode, and yes, it may be used in small output stage as well. When I was a teenager I used it in a driver stage of a guitar amp.

F**k!

I hate the confusion with Russian tube names. I use the Russian codes as they are pronounced. Like 6S33S (written 6C33C) or 6R3S (written 6P3C) as it would be very confusing for Russians if I tried to order a tube with wrong "name".

There's, and that was the idea of the thread, a tube called 6N6P. Is that the same as 6N6?
6N6P is equivalent for 12DW7 I think, or E182CC (a rather powerful tube good for driver - 4W/cathode).

They're as cute as a button, that's for sure.
On the other hand I have a few of these little acorn tubes, VT-120 and CTL-956, with a pin on the top, bottom, and 5 on the side.
What were they thinking when they invented these,? and what are they good for, not to mention the weird socket/connections they must have had ! Very tiny for the dates (Army/Navy, 1944, I have the little boxes they came in too)

frank754 said:
They're as cute as a button, that's for sure.
On the other hand I have a few of these little acorn tubes, VT-120 and CTL-956, with a pin on the top, bottom, and 5 on the side.
What were they thinking when they invented these,?

Minimizing lead inductance. They do something very similar with UHF transistors.

and what are they good for, not to mention the weird socket/connections they must have had ! Very tiny for the dates (Army/Navy, 1944, I have the little boxes they came in too)

Those are UHF, small signal tubes used for making RF preamps, LOs, and mixers. Some even have some pretty decent audio characteristics and can be used for some funkey-looking audio preamps as well.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think we are talking about 2 different tubes here. The topic is about the RUSSIAN 6H6 which would be written 6N6P in latin.

This a a very big novel double triode, as mentioned above. A real beast. I have a pair, they dwarf the 12AX7 12AU7 style double triodes. A little bigger than the 12B4A, for scale.
Total dissipation = 8W. Low output impedance, can run well on low voltages. Low mu tube ~ 2.

See the spec sheet below. Because of the double triode, maybe it's better suited to a P-P type amp?

6N6P SPECS PDF

Also check out the site this comes from. Good fun!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
@ Magnus

Thanks for those cool schematics. :cool: Might try something like it.

OK, my Russian isn't as good as it used to be (never was great) so I can't make out what it says about the output "transformator" in the side text. Can you read it?

I fiddled a little with this while waiting for American Idol (I love hearing Simon kill all talentless blowed-up selfcentered non-singers).

AMP86: the transformers is made up of 2x2300 turns (d=0,12mm) and secondary 74 turns (0,74mm).
When I do some calculations (Z1/Z2 = (n1/n2)^2) I get a Z1 of approx 3,6kohm.

For the AMP87 (not 85) I get a Z1 of approx 4,7kohm using 2 x 1800 turns primary and 95 turns secondary.

That is roughly what is mentioned in the text (how many turns the transformers are made up with). There's even an instruction for winding the power transformer.

I have one question now. If my calculations are correct ( :xeye: ), what have I calculated, the Z of one half of the primary or what :confused:
Or should I have calculated all the turns, not 1800 but 2 by 1800=3600:cannotbe: .

Else you understand that B means V like in Volt.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey thanks! So I did understand it after all - was just doubting myself. Didin't think they would be giving instructions on winding the transfos. That's the DIY spirit!

As for the 6N30P, Mr. Lampizator says it's a computer tube and does not sound nearly as good as the 6N6P.
The 5687 is also a computer tube, so that makes sense.
Yeo over at www.diyparadise.com has several pages on the 5687 as a preamp tube. Looks like nice and easy stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.