Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

New tube tech from Korg
New tube tech from Korg
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2015, 12:44 AM   #1
Newk_Yuler is offline Newk_Yuler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New tube tech from Korg

This has been mentioned briefly in another thread but I thought it was important to be sure all tube-based designers see it. I may be wrong but I would expect this to take root and turn into many very cool projects.

Korg & Noritake Introduce Futuristic Nutube Vacuum Tubes

Old 30th January 2015, 12:56 AM   #2
Richidoo is offline Richidoo  United States
diyAudio Member

That's cool.

I'm a little wary of the press release stating, "The Nutube 6P1 is designed specifically to generate rich harmonics when used with a musical instrument," which implies that has high harmonic distortion.

I think it's sonic signature will preclude its use outside of guitar and synth effects.

Old 30th January 2015, 02:18 AM   #3
Newk_Yuler is offline Newk_Yuler  United States
diyAudio Member

Isn't harmonic distortion in tube guitar amps caused by hard driving the tubes? If these Nutubes are designed for distortion circuits (by description) wouldn't you think there is a possibility they can be driven in other applications for clean but harmonically enriched sound? You can run guitar tube amps at levels that produce clean sound.

With a 30,000 hour longevity these things could be awesome for little preamp or buffer projects if they turn out to have a decent potential for that sort of thing.

Old 30th January 2015, 03:30 AM   #4
smoking-amp is offline smoking-amp  United States
diyAudio Member

They look like milliwatt tubes to me. Just a single filament wire running over the top of the tube sections. Probably intended to feed an Op Amp.

Need some spec data. Curves.

Old 30th January 2015, 03:52 AM   #5
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Noritake makes Vacuum Fluorescent Displays. These were common in 80's vintage cars, and consumer electronics. If you take a good look into a VFD you will see guts that are very similar to the device in the picture. There is one or more (mine had 3) filament wires suspended over a plate that is coated in electroluminescent material. There is a separate grid between the filaments and each segment on the plate.

In operation the filament is heated, the plate has about 30 volts on it, and the grid bias controls the plate current, and hence the brightness of the EL material on the plate.

Can a VFD display ripped out of a 1985 Dodge 600 be used to make a tube amp? YES, it can. The gain was a bit low, the Mu was maybe 5 or 10, but the VFD can amplify.

It should be possible to optimize one of these things for amplification, after the market for VFD's isn't what it used to be.

Old 30th January 2015, 04:18 AM   #6
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm interesting.
I've used VFD's in synth modules to distort the signal.
Running the signal through a VFD w/ magnets around it does interesting things.

Old 30th January 2015, 11:36 AM   #7
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Interesting that it claims long life, in preference to a 12AX7. I always thought that VFDs fade long before the valves do, but perhaps it is just the phosphor wearing out. Or are they comparing with modern valves rather than NOS? Will the curves be anything like a real 6P1?

I suspect just a firm with vacuum technology trying to extend their otherwise obsolete skills for a few years. That lot in Blackburn tried it but it came to nothing.

Old 30th January 2015, 02:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Never thought of magnets.....I have chased the blue glow around the envelope in a KT88 with a small magnet, but didn't notice an effect on the sound. Maybe it would be more pronounced in a current starved VFD.

It's been a long time since I tinkered with the Dodge VFD, but I remember very low plate current, and the dark segments would start to glow if I fed it more than 30 volts on the plates. Don't remember the filament voltage, but I turned the supply up until I saw about the same faint glow that I saw in the car I took it from. Maybe a bit more filament voltage would help.

Maybe it's TIME to experiment a bit????

Electronic Goldmine - SALE! - Vintage Fluorescent Automotive Clock (Pkg 2)

Old 30th January 2015, 03:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've used VFD's in synth modules to distort the signal.
The Electronic Goldmine sale ad appeared in my inbox this morning. Coincidence? I don't know, the VFD has been listed for a while, but the 50 cent rotary encoders are just right for a PIC chip MIDI controller along with the slide pots I got in my last order, so I ordered a pair of these VFD's.

These have 4 large digits where the odometer out of the old Dodge had 7 small ones. I should be able to rig up an audio generator, scope and power supply for a simple test. Much beyond that isn't going to happen soon.

Old 30th January 2015, 03:53 PM   #10
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

About the magnets, I think they were physically moving some of the little wires inside the VFD... That would best explain the effect it produced.. On the module I built, I have what looks like a slide pot, but it's actually physically moving a magnet along the length of the VFD. No CV on that one.. Although, I suppose w/ an RC servo or something, I could automate that, too . My VFD's were out of old clocks, I believe.. They're big!

Closed Thread

New tube tech from KorgHide this!Advertise here!