• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

TU-8200 with speakers 94db

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am new in this forum and want to build a tube amp kit. :)

My goal is an amp with the best sound quality i can get with less than $1000 cost.

The sound system is used in a relatively small room (10ft x 12ft) and my listening position is at 9ft. My speakers are Energy exl-26 (94db).

I am considering the TU-8200 kit from Elekit. Looks well designed, with lot of features at a reasonable price ($725).
My only concern is the output power rated at 8wpc. Can this low power drive my speakers at good level? :confused:
I don't listen my music very loud but i want to have some headroom in case i want it loud

Anyone has experienced this kit with speakers?

Thanks

Hi,

I am new in this forum and want to build a tube amp kit. :)

My goal is an amp with the best sound quality i can get with less than $1000 cost.

The sound system is used in a relatively small room (10ft x 12ft) and my listening position is at 9ft. My speakers are Energy exl-26 (94db).

You don't need to spend that kind of money. Well Ok maybe if you are buying a "kit" you might be paying a lot. With 94db speakers in such a small room you will not need even 10 watts total. In fact with 10W people next door will ask you to turn it down.

You could likely get away with a class-A single ended amplifier using maybe one EL34 tube per channel. If you cn do Class-A that will lily give the best sound

First off, these things we build are NOT "tube amplifiers". The tubes are cheap and are not the major component. You are building a "transformers amplifier" because by any measure the output transformer is the main part. It has the most effect on the quality of the sound. It costs the most, by far it weighs the most and takes up the most space. A stereo amp needs at least three transformers and maybe a power supply choke. After that the second most expensive and biggest part is the chassis.

So with budget in hand, first select the output transformer yo like and can afford, then select whatever tube it needs then find a power transformer that has the aspects to drive the tubes (plates and heaters).

One tip: Do your self a huge favor and select a chassis that is twice as large as you think you need. The physical layout and how the wires are routed matters a lot. Give yourself room for this

Then if you are up to it think about an enclosure.

About power: I have an 8W EL84 power single ended guitar amplifier and a 105 db speaker. If I turn it up the sound can be hear INSIDE the house across the street. ou 96 db speakers are not quite so loud but darn close so 8W would be enough for a very small room

Also the single ended amp is so much easier to build and "get right". for a beginning builder. I'd go with a solid state diode based power supply to make it easy.

Pick a transformer first.

With a single ended amp, there is the possibility of flabby bass with a ported multi-way speaker, because of the amps relatively high output impedance. If you can bi-amp the speakers, then use the single ended amp to drive the mids & tweets, and use SS for the woofers.

jeff

High output impedance? You are building from scratch and get to select the output transformer. Also the OP is in a tiny size room

But yes if you are trying to push aton of power build a solid state bass amp and a the based treble amp. Many of the best studio monitor use one amp per speaker driver and an active cross over up stream of the amplifier.

But REMEMBER this is the OP's first tube build. keep it SIMPLE a moderate power single ended amp is easy to build. Later if more power is needed build a second amp for the bass. Maybe wait until he moves to a larger house.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.