• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amps.......AGAIN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Really having a hard time with this decision. Have been steered towards lesser power amps now around the 15WPC range for my Klipsch horns (104sens), over my thoughts of Ella (2x40) or WAD (2x40)

For the last time --- I promise -- thoughts aon something in kit form around 15-20WPC?

Thanks again,

Brap

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Brad,

You can drive the KHs with a one Watt amp to ear bleeding levels easily.

If it were me, I'd go for something like a DRD SE 45 amp built with nothing but the best passive components.

Tube rectifier, choke and poly cap filters and the best iron I can afford...

That would be a true killer amp.

Cheers,;)

I know I've told you before, but I'll try again :)

You do not need 15-20W. You may only need 1 or 2W...

A couple of years ago I also thought I needed a lot of power. Then my uncle gave me an old Philips tubeamp (AG9015) with about 2*10W output power. I soon found out it was possible to play at insanely loud levels with a 10W amp...

Later I started reading about SE amps. I didn't really think they could be anything special, with the not-so-great technical specs. So I didn't want to spend a lot of money on an SE amp. But then a friend of mine gave me a pair of 2A3 tubes. I found some transformers in my junkpile, and I built a test amp. And I was surprised - again. The amp put out about 2W of power, and I could still play very loud. The sound is better than any other amps I have had so far (yes I still use the same amp - now with Sovtek 2A3s). And I still don't have speakers that are as sensitive as yours - not at all...

So I would advice you to build a cheap/simple SE amp, just to try it out. Fred Nachbaur's "MiniBlok" could be a good choise - have a look here: http://dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblok.htm

And if you need a kit, just send me some money, and I'll put the parts in a nice box for you :)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Mikkel:

Yes, I understand and thanks for reminding me again -- keeping me on track. I will pursue a smaller amp(s) to drive the Khorns. I know I don't need that much and will keep it simpler. I will be switching speakers to my Forte's on occasion (96 sens) too.

So, withthis in mind, your recommendations please?

Regards

Brap said:
Pardon me, you recommendations besides Fred's miniblok, Mikkel

I can't really recommend you something, since you wrote that you want a kit. I stopped building kits 15 years ago or so (but I make kits now - see my preamp thread :)).

I build circuits from scratch (and design them also sometimes), so I don't know who makes the best kit. The Welborne amps look nice though - but I wouldn't buy an amp because of the looks...

I would look for something based on a 2A3, a 300B or the 45 that Frank recommended.

Here's my 2A3 amp: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/2A3.gif
But that's just a schematic and not a kit...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brap said:
recommendations besides Fred's miniblok

The Decware Zen is a really nice little amp (about 2W) and comes as a fully documented kit with all the parts.

select.jpg

There are a couple other variations if you want to spend more or less.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.