Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Silicon Chip mag "Currawong" amp
Silicon Chip mag "Currawong" amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2014, 03:23 PM   #21
SSassen is offline SSassen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keit View Post
Not to worry.

The WA newspaper The Sunday Times consistently spelt it "silicone" every single time for years. Perhaps they thought transistors and IC's were made of oil or rubbery potting compound.
That's not the putting compound I think of when I hear the term 'silicone', but I should perhaps stop frequenting the Hollywood region I guess?
Old 18th June 2015, 07:47 AM   #22
AudioWA1 is offline AudioWA1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Cool SC Currawong - has anyone built one?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have built one of these yet?

Regards,

Alan.
Old 18th June 2015, 08:07 AM   #23
aardvarkash10 is offline aardvarkash10  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

for what possible reason other than to enrich Jaycar and prove its mediocre design and implementation?
Old 18th June 2015, 04:26 PM   #24
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

the 100v line tx should be okay, I got 45hz from 10w 70v line transformer push pull
Old 22nd June 2015, 12:39 AM   #25
AudioWA1 is offline AudioWA1  Australia
diyAudio Member

lol.
I understand where you are coming from there. Although I believe it's Altronics that are the poor sods who ended up with the task of getting the Currawong kit out - no doubt regretting it.
Old 22nd June 2015, 06:48 AM   #26
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

IIRC, Jaycar listed EL34s, 6L6s and 12AX7s, plus an octal socket and noval socket. This was a few years back. They were Sovtek, I think. It seemed a scant range, just enough for dabblers.

I wonder if they offloaded them to Altronics.
Old 11th July 2015, 04:51 AM   #27
tassie tiger is offline tassie tiger  Australia
diyAudio Member

For Aussie readers who want an Aussie designed 10W per channel valve (tube) amp that would leave this design for dead l have no hesitation in self promotion by recommending the Baby Huey instead. Parts cost would be very similar or less.

Baby Huey PP EL84 amplifier - diyAudio

Hi there,

If I wanted to build/use two of these in monoblock power amp form with my existing Grounded Grid pre-amp, presumably I can run the input signal straight through the 1K resistor to pin 2 of the ECC803S tubes?

Does an 8ohm speaker load affect the design, or just change the output power?

Thanks
TT
Old 11th July 2015, 05:35 AM   #28
Keit is offline Keit  Australia
diyAudio Member

The Baby Huey design has stupid distortion-worsening constant current cathode biasing.

And people build it with an output transformer unsuitable for the high HT voltage and wondering why it goes into Class B.

Far better to build a Mullard 5-10 or a tube Playmaster. They were designed to be low cost and simple. But they were designed by people who knew what they were doing. Either will outperform a Baby Huey.
Old 11th July 2015, 05:53 AM   #29
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
Banned

Care to elucidate ?
Old 11th July 2015, 07:53 AM   #30
tassie tiger is offline tassie tiger  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keit View Post
The Baby Huey design has stupid distortion-worsening constant current cathode biasing.

And people build it with an output transformer unsuitable for the high HT voltage and wondering why it goes into Class B.

Far better to build a Mullard 5-10 or a tube Playmaster. They were designed to be low cost and simple. But they were designed by people who knew what they were doing. Either will outperform a Baby Huey.
Oh well. I may as well spend my money re-vamping my Quad 2's then!

TT

Silicon Chip mag "Currawong" ampHide this!Advertise here!