• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Output Transformer Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a pair of monoblocks amplifiers. Each amp uses 4 KT88 tubes in parrelel. The design calls for 100 W ultralinear output transformers with input impeadance of 3200 ohms. I have available some Edcore transformers, but they have input impeadance of 2500 ohms. Will these work and what effect will it have on sound quality? thanks for your help.

If You mean SE, Ra each tube is about 2-2.2 kohm, if I'm not wrong. 4 in parallel have 500-600 ohm. IMO, 2.5 kohm is suitable, like 3.2 kohm. Probably You will not sense the difference. /With 2.5 - more power, with 3.2 - more bass...but KT88 has great bass/.

Last edited:
In the past I've used Hammond 1650T and Plitron VDV2100 for parallel push pull Ultralinear KT88. Both of these are Raa approx 2K and worked well with a B+ of just over +500V.

An Raa of 2500 Ohms will be fine - proceed with confidence.

In general, a higher Raa will give less power but also less distortion but the difference between 3200 and 2500 Ohms will be marginal.

Cheers,
Ian

At the B+ of just over +500V and the 2K (actually 1900 Ohms) Raa Hammond 1650T I got 122W at the onset of clipping and 138W in heavy overdrive.
I would probably do things a little differently today but I have attached some details of what I did "back then" for your possible interest.

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• dud120.jpg
    dud120.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 279
  • dud120-2.jpg
    dud120-2.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 271
  • Lowish Cost Big Valve Amplifier.doc
    54 KB · Views: 70
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.