• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Volume adjustment on 8ch at once

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody. I have a dilemma I have to solve.
I have 8ch tube preamp with 4 dual gang potentiometer as volume adjustment.
If possible I want 1 pot to do it instead. Reason being I have to mount volume control away from preamp. preamp use 4 dual ganged 200K pots, one for each pair of channels.
What would you suggest?
I was unable to found 1 8ganged pot of that or higher value.

If you use motorized control pots there is no guaranty that they will all operate in sync unless the motor is of a servo type.

This will take extra circuitry to implement.

Meaning the addition of an MCU, at which there are several good solid state options available to you as well since you will need an MCU anyhow such as a pair of PGA4311's,

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1749095.pdf

I had just saw an 8 channel version as well but I don't remember what the part number is and who makes it, but the PGA 4311's have great specs to begin with.
Although they are limited to a 7.5v p-p swing, if you need more of a voltage swing capability then 4 pieces of either a PGA2310 or a PGA2320 would be a better solution.

They can be found here,

PGA4311 | Volume Control | Audio | Description & parametrics

jer :)

Last edited:
The PGA4311 is probably your best bet. If you want to stay analog, you could use a LDR setup, but finding two sets of 8 matched LDRs could be...thrillingly expensive. I use a semi automated tester for matching LDRs and the time involved (and hence cost) is not trivial. If I work hard, I can test about 300 per day. It takes probably 1000-1500 LDRs to find 8 matched to within 1%.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had just saw an 8 channel version as well but I don't remember what the part number is and who makes it, but the PGA 4311's have great specs to begin with.

Cirrus CS3318 is a digitally controlled 8 channel analog attenuator.

Attachments

• CS3318 connections.png
    CS3318 connections.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 167
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.