• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

I have just joined and am a little overwhelmed by the amount of information available. I have scratch built a couple of guitar tube amps and I am looking to find resources for a small low wattage stereo valve amp to run an iPod through that I can build myself. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful....

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Sy,

I would suggest about 5-8 watts per channel; I will be looking at keeping costs as low as possible also.
With regards to speakers, I am fairly open minded. I would probably go for some small bookshelf types as floor standing might take up too much space, but will remain open to suggestions.

I am UK based and realise that components can be very costly over here. I was contemplating a kit build from the US, but would rather scratch build given the opportunity as it is a pastime I really enjoy. Both of my guitar amp builds were scratch built, one from the ground up and another using an old (1947) "ever ready" radio as a donor, just for the case, because it looks cool in my opinion. I have no HiFi building experience, but am reading this forum thoroughly to get as much information as possible before even considering getting started. All input is really well received, as for amp design, I am completely open to input;PP or SE, but I need to understand the tonal differences. Both my guitar amp build were cathode biased and quite simple. I think I really need to understand how NOT to get a crunchy break up, as opposed to making it a prominent feature!

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I think that will be the plan.
I have loads of research to do first and I am also off on my jolly days for a couple of weeks, but then I will be looking to make a start........hopefully!

The RH84 can be found here..

RH Amplifiers: RH84 amplifier - revision 2

But you must use SE transformers..

The others can be found by using the search function on the forum. Its OK to use components like the Sprague orange drop polypropylene for coupling..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...yY0QXIqIGADQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1524&bih=696

I say this because you might already have some..:)

You probably already know the working voltage of resistors is important as well as wattage.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I do have a few components kicking around, but no orange drops; I mainly used Mallory 150's and Sprague atoms for electrolytics. Most of my resistors are carbon comp 1/4 watt, as I wanted both the amps to get as close to the fifties as possible. I think my main expense is going to be trannies.........

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I do have a few components kicking around, but no orange drops; I mainly used Mallory 150's and Sprague atoms for electrolytics. Most of my resistors are carbon comp 1/4 watt, as I wanted both the amps to get as close to the fifties as possible. I think my main expense is going to be trannies.........

Carbon comp are not a good choice..and I use 2 watt resistors in the anode of the tubes and on the HT.
Carbon film are OK..2 watt.

The Mallory 150 is a polyester cap..its not a good choice for audio.
The point of HIFI is to get as clear and realistic sound as possible.
So if I were you I would forget the ideas of make it sound "old" or you may end up with piles of hum and noise..this isn't supposed to be a tube radio sound.

However each to their own..many half watt resistors are only rated at 250V that isn't a good Idea in the anode and cathode of tubes. The hotter a resistor gets the more noise it creates so its better to over spec to some extent. I would use Silmic 2 in the cathode but its up to you..
The output transformers have a MAJOR impact so chose well..I used edcor in my build.

Then again it depends on which circuit /amp you chose to build.
This is my RH84..its been posted to many times but it gives an idea and you can see the output Tx's. XSE-15-8-5K
As you can see its an enclosed design..many people like to build open chassis.

You may want to build a baby huey.. :D Its a PP design..so its time for others to give some ideas..
Have a look in the gallery as well..

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• DSCN3951%20(500x374).jpg
    DSCN3951%20(500x374).jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3960.jpg
    DSCN3960.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Sorry, my mistake, the carbon comps were all 1 watt, unless in the power section then they were 2-5 watt. I like your build, it is surely tight in there though! I know a lot of guys in the US have used Edcors, especially for clean, high headroom builds. This is shaping up to be a whole load of fun.....

Thanks for the heads-up on the components, I will buy specific for this build to make sure I get it all to spec.

Many thanks for you input, this is the only way I will get through this one......

Best regards

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.